The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
worms for me I think worms are the all around bait I have caught just about all species with worms no flatties yet

·
Registered
339 Posts
normally crickets or wigglers, but ran out of bait the other day with the kids. tied red yarn on their hooks and caught about twelve ....lol.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i have to go with worms. if i want crickets i must catch them myself and they are not out that long around here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the old dig um up out back worm but recently found out thoses bream love meal worms. Blue gill are less deliberate but a shellcraker will suck them up like candy.
This is a joke--I prayed for big worms out of the yeard and the local bait store supplied my needs after I duge my wifes petunia beds compleatly up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use bee moths most of the time but night crawlers
are very effective too. I think crickets work well
but as others have mentioned I think they're a bit
of a hassle.The nice thing about gills is that
they're not real picky when it comes to eating and
you've got to love that!!!

·
Banned
754 Posts
My favorite is when she gets good and dry and the first minature grasshoppers start showing up Im there with net and lookout gills cause I know you cant resist!!! second choice tiniest hook I can find and a piece of tin foil on sunny day:tounge_out:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a small piece of night crawler. Catches just as many fish as crickets but you don't have to rebait as often. As for articial use a small johnsons Beetle spin in Black with chatreuse stripes or Orange with black stripes

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I use half a wiggler threaded on the hook w/ about 1/2 inch left off to sqirm. They don't steal your worm as much that way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Redworms is my first choice then the crickets.I will also throw the old beetle spin in the mix too :wink::big_smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I usually use crickets, but you guys have definitely given me some more ideas. Chicken hearts? I would have never thought of that one for bream.

·
Registered
297 Posts
any of the things mentioned and probably every thing else.But for a hook use a small jig head hook. and probably a small artificial spinner bait personally I dont think you would hook them as deep and kill them. with a spinner bait.Catch 30 or 40 start hunting Mr. Flathead. thanks alot Sam Davis.

·
Registered
378 Posts
in order Gold crappie nibs(convenient), crawlers(easy to aquire), garden worms(cheap), bacon (in the fridge). I catch blugill for bait as the rest of you(although they are yummy), these 4 never fail.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts