The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Red wigglers most times but the bluegills are real plentifull, worm size strips of raw bacon or fatback will load your bait tank fast.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It all depends on the conditions. Here in california, I fish the delta and it gets really windy. The crickets don't work very well in these conditions. I have to use a worm and a small splitshot to get the bait in their face. Great thread idea!
Linz

·
Registered
607 Posts
kroger 59 cent hotdogs :wink: work great, and theyre cheap, and thats 59 cents for 10 whole hotdogs!! that equals alot of bluegill :big_smile:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I've always used crawlers. I cut them into 1/2" pieces and prefer gold hooks with them. For some strange reason I never thought to use a jig head instead of the hook/split shot. For about $3 a box that lasts me a month...... and I fish a lot. Crawlers are a lot tougher ( skin wise )than other worms also so in most cases I'm using the same 1/2" piece to catch 3 or 4 bream. I saw a few ideas here that I'm might try also...nice thread.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
If those are my only two choices red worms. My favorite is biscut dough about the size of a maggot pinched onto a hook.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The deadliest combo I use is the lightest popeye tipped with a waxworm on my flyrod.

But I tip with redworms, catalpa worm bits, and pork rind (it stays on forever).

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like crickets the best,but I have fished nite crawlers on the bottom and caught huge bluegill.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
worms in the colder months and ticks off the dogs in the summer ... the big grey ticks are best ... when u put them on the hook they start to bleed and the gills go on a feeding frenzie ...plus its a good way to build ur relationship with a new or old fishing buddy and making him/her healthier by removing the ticks.

·
Banned
818 Posts
worms in the colder months and ticks off the dogs in the summer ... the big grey ticks are best ... when u put them on the hook they start to bleed and the gills go on a feeding frenzie ...plus its a good way to build ur relationship with a new or old fishing buddy and making him/her healthier by removing the ticks.

If your dogs have ticks that bad,I'd say you need to take better care of your pets before you worry about fishing.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
276 Posts
an m80 with a waterproof wick, just kidding Worms are best.
Have you tried the 5” Mortar?
A lot more effective than an M80. And it has two “bangs for the buck” :)
Just kidding, of course.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Well I made a thread about it....so, there is that

Berkley Gulp Alive 1" minnows

I have caught everything from 5inch bluegill to 16" crappie on that bait.

I have caught little channel cats...smallmouth, shellcrackers, rock bass

it is a pretty damned good bait.

I fish it on a supers mall jighead....1/64 ounce under a rainbow plastic "adjust a bubble" float. I add a couple BB shotto make sure the bait sinks decently fast.

The only thing I know of that catches better is actual live bait

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
276 Posts
The grandsons and I catch more of them on nightcrawlers.
I’ve tried several Berkley Gulp baits. Okie fish don’t seem to like them.

“Out fishes ALL other baits!”
Maybe so, but in our experience, it doesn’t OUT CATCH any other bait. 😀

Reactions: eastforker
61 - 80 of 93 Posts