The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Red wigglers most times but the bluegills are real plentifull, worm size strips of raw bacon or fatback will load your bait tank fast.

·
Registered
310 Posts
It all depends on the conditions. Here in california, I fish the delta and it gets really windy. The crickets don't work very well in these conditions. I have to use a worm and a small splitshot to get the bait in their face. Great thread idea!
Linz

·
Registered
607 Posts
kroger 59 cent hotdogs :wink: work great, and theyre cheap, and thats 59 cents for 10 whole hotdogs!! that equals alot of bluegill :big_smile:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I've always used crawlers. I cut them into 1/2" pieces and prefer gold hooks with them. For some strange reason I never thought to use a jig head instead of the hook/split shot. For about $3 a box that lasts me a month...... and I fish a lot. Crawlers are a lot tougher ( skin wise )than other worms also so in most cases I'm using the same 1/2" piece to catch 3 or 4 bream. I saw a few ideas here that I'm might try also...nice thread.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
If those are my only two choices red worms. My favorite is biscut dough about the size of a maggot pinched onto a hook.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The deadliest combo I use is the lightest popeye tipped with a waxworm on my flyrod.

But I tip with redworms, catalpa worm bits, and pork rind (it stays on forever).

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like crickets the best,but I have fished nite crawlers on the bottom and caught huge bluegill.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
worms in the colder months and ticks off the dogs in the summer ... the big grey ticks are best ... when u put them on the hook they start to bleed and the gills go on a feeding frenzie ...plus its a good way to build ur relationship with a new or old fishing buddy and making him/her healthier by removing the ticks.

·
Banned
818 Posts
worms in the colder months and ticks off the dogs in the summer ... the big grey ticks are best ... when u put them on the hook they start to bleed and the gills go on a feeding frenzie ...plus its a good way to build ur relationship with a new or old fishing buddy and making him/her healthier by removing the ticks.

If your dogs have ticks that bad,I'd say you need to take better care of your pets before you worry about fishing.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts