The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
The grandsons and I catch more of them on nightcrawlers.
I’ve tried several Berkley Gulp baits. Okie fish don’t seem to like them.

“Out fishes ALL other baits!”
Maybe so, but in our experience, it doesn’t OUT CATCH any other bait. 😀
It's def weird.

I almost always take a dozen nightcrawlers with me when I go panfishing. It'slke the backup bait.

I generally never need them and that is not an advertising promotional comment

The 1" minnow is such a good bait.....I always figure if they are not biting on it, they are just not biting.

IF I have a dry run on the 1" minnow,then I will try pieces of crawler....and it usually ends up the same way

I did buy some flies to use with my casting bubble....I am hoping they will be the answer when all other baits fail

I got a hundred #10 cricket hooks in the other day as well....now that is a strange looking hook but I can see how it will do well with certain baits

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kayak catfish did a video awhile back about using a 1/64 ounce darter head jig and Berkeley gulp minnows (1 inch). Works really well.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Small red worms or crawlers broken into pieces. Crickets if I can get them.
This past Summer, I would have given just about anything to have had some grasshoppers or black crickets.
Never saw any of them all Summer.
The grandsons and I bought some crickets at Petsmart. They were totally useless. Too small to even get on an aberdeen or salmon egg hook. I later found out they were to feed small pet frogs.

Reactions: Herbhome

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Well, I may as well toss in my two cents too.

I have used worms for years for catching panfish. And usually have some around when needing a few baitfish.

Then I have used crickets too and have done well with them also. But I don't always have then here at the house.

I watched Justin Johnston, catching some gills, crappie and both large mouth and small mouth bass with the one inch Gulp Minnow. Per Justin, color does not matter. He buys what is the cheapest So I tried them. I did catch several gills from my pond and got several hits that I didn't hook up on. But what was irritating me was that the tiny 1/64th jig head was still so large for this tiny minnow and that it got torn up too easily. The small, but still too large lead spike used to secure the minnow to the jig head just tore the bait apart.

Now, me being the "I can find a better way" kind of guy gave it some thought. I went to Wally World and bought a bag of Gamakatsu ( think #8) bait holder hooks. Eagle Claw has similar hooks also, just select the size for the tiny 1 inch minnow.

Anyway tiny hooks that have the two tiny teeth on the shank of the hook. I use a sliding float so I added it then I tied one of these hooks directly to the main line (4# test). This tiny bait holder hook made it easy to end up with a good bait security attached to a small hook. Then I crimped a small lead split shot on the leader right at the hook eye.

Now everyone fishes in their own way but I tend to fish in 7 feet of water or less. So I put a sliding very small styrofoam bobber on the main line with a string bobber stop about 6 to 7 feet above the minnow. When I cast and you can see Justin do the same thing, I let the minnow sink to the bottom. From then on it is twitch-sink, twitch-sink. I feel for a hit and watch the tiny float. Very very good bait.

Take two cents out of my account.

Good luck and take care of the bait you get also release what you don't need.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,113 Posts
I don't quite have the twitch-sink twitch-sink down yet for the gulp minnows.

When a red worm and bobber or sinker on the bottom isn't working.
I use a red worm with a #4 or 6 Aberdeen hook no sinker or bobber.
If it hit's bottom with out a bite. I lift the rod tip up and let it sink again.
I use the gulp maggots the same way and they have worked great when there biting on them.

The white curly tail jig is my favorite for crappie.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I don't quite have the twitch-sink twitch-sink down yet for the gulp minnows.

When a red worm and bobber or sinker on the bottom isn't working.
I use a red worm with a #4 or 6 Aberdeen hook no sinker or bobber.
If it hit's bottom with out a bite. I lift the rod tip up and let it sink again.
I use the gulp maggots the same way and they have worked great when there biting on them.

The white curly tail jig is my favorite for crappie.

Makes sense to me Stacee.

That lift and let sink, lift and let sink IS what I meant by twitch and let sink.

Twitch might be a little faster lift. different movements may cause a reaction bite.

I used to use curly tails for crappie also. And then they were good for Skipjack.
Now I prefer a shineeee hineee......... DOn't over think that. haha

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use live maggots mostly but I also use Gulp brand imitation maggots when the bait shop is out of the real ones. I use mostly European gear for bluegill and crappie fishing. You can balance the European floats so that the slightest nibble will take the float under. There is nearly no resistance. The European gear is on another level.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
In open water I use worm, night crawler and crickets. I would rather use crickets but the only bait shop within a reasonable distance of me closed two summers ago so supply is an issue.
Through the ice I fish with a tiny ice spoon tipped with a meal or wax worm.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts