The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The highly debated subject...

So which is it, red worms or crickets? What do you go with when ya got a choice between the two?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Neither. Chicken Hearts are my new favorite bait. You can cut a heart in small pieces and catch 40 bream on it because it stays on the hook longer than wigglers or crickets. And when I can get 3000 hearts for $20, the price is right too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have 2 old army footlockers I use for worm beds each has a good 3000 or so worms each have been using this for about 3 weeks now. but I still relay on the crickets from time ot time theres no telling what them breams are wanting to bite on from day to day. I also and goingot start my own meal worm farm kinda sorta have ot see how this little test i have works out.

But to sum it all up for you I use mostly red worms.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
an m80 with a waterproof wick, just kidding Worms are best.

Reactions: truckgrandpa

·
Registered
196 Posts
Crickets never fail but I like Meal worms. You can get the giant worms for 10.00 per thousand plus mail. Catalpa worms when, I have them, turned inside out. So! if I could use only one bait it would be Crickets. Second, would be Catalpa worms next would be Meal worms. Red worms would be last.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Cured garlic chicken livers, if the cats aint biting I switch to bluegills. I think Ive caught 6-7 on one piece before.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i cant believe you left out catalpa worms! not only do bream luv em' but so does everything else. of course if you cant get those, then definitely crickets for 1-5 (or with kids) and worms for the deeper stuff.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
A few weeks ago I couldn't get a bream to touch a worm, luckily I had crickets at the time because they tore them up. Then a few days ago they were eating crickets and worms, I guess it just depends on what they want at the time. Most of the time I use worms because they stay on the hook much better and live longer.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Usually I use spinners, but when I need to go to bait, it's worms. They stay on the hook longer than a cricket and are less hassle.

I may have to try the chicken hearts though!

By the way, why not make this an actual POLL?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Why spoil the day and take the wrong bait. Take the worms, crickets, hearts, and meal worms and let the fish tell you what the prefer. One of them will make your day. The cost is minimal.:lol:

·
Banned
10,798 Posts
For me its neither, I either use nitecrawlers or the new berkly powerbait Maggots

·
Registered
134 Posts
My wife has a thing about worms ( may have to do with three brothers growing up:roll_eyes: ) so we fish with crickets. Everybody loves crickets (Bream, crappie, cats, it dosen't matter). So when she is onboard the bug wins. Other times its what I have available, it may be bread balls, so I guess it is whatever works at the time.

Have fun
Wooly

1 - 20 of 78 Posts