Zucchini Help

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by punkin570, Jul 24, 2007.

1. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Ok brothers and sisters...I have a plea....I have two huge bags of zucchini given to me and I have never had much to do with cooking it. I am at a loss for recipes. I have checked out cooking websites and the BOC diner/cookbook area. If there is anyone who has more recipes to add or suggest, I am listenin. I would really like to stay away from the fryin issue because of my husband. So my main areas would be bake, grill, broil, stew, steam...anything at all. Anyone with tried and true favorites please...let me know...if you have several...you are welcome to PM them to me. Thanks so much for ya'lls input ahead of time.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You already know my grilling recipe ,but you can also cook squash in a casserole like dish just the same way you do scalloped potatoes,might not be too good for the cholesterol but man its de-lish

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I will either slice it thin and fry it with cornmeal, or cut it in half longways. then split those in half and slice longways, but don't go through the skin. then put mozzerella cheese on them and grill until cheese melts.
    Chip

4. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    slice long ways they put they in foil with sliced squash and potatoes some butter and a sliceonion close up foil and put on grill

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    2 easy ways are #1, Slice some up in a glass bowl and sprinkel some parmason cheese over it. A little salt and pepper and a slice of butter and head for the microwave. Be sure to cover it with some Saran wrap and add a dab of water to steam it. Boy is it good and easy too.

# 2 Slice some in a bowl the same way except instead of the cheese, snip up some fresh dill. Wow!!! does that dill add the flavor. Its even good cold this way as a snack.

Just my 2 cents worth. We have gotten tired of breading them and frying them as I seem to always make a mess fixing them that way.

When I was a kid my grandma used to fry them for breakfast and we would put pancake surup on them. Hey thats how I first ate them, and they are good with surrup on them.

:wink::wink:

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here are a couple that are worth the extra effort. ​

Zucchini Bread​
    Cream Together:
    2 Cups grated Zucchini (no seeds)
    3 Eggs
    2 C. Sugar
    1 C. Oil

Mix in:
    2 t. vinilla 1 c. Chopped Nuts
    3 cup plain flour 1 c. Raisins
    1 t. Baking Powder 1 t. Salt
    1 t. Baking Soda 1 t. Cloves
    1 t. Cinnimon

Spray 2 loaf pans; bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr.​

Zucchini Relish ​
    Course grate the following
    10 Cups zucchini (grated)
    4 Cups onions (chopped
    2 Cup Red - Sweet Peppers
    2 Cup Green Sweet Peppers
    2 Cup Carrot

Mix with 1 cup salt & let stand overnight in fridge; rinse in cold water & squeeze out

Add the Following:
    1 teaspoon tumeric 4 Cup Vinegar
    1 teaspoon curry powder 1 Teaspoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon corn starch 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 1/2 cup sugar

Boil 20 - 25 minutes stiring constantly
    Pour in cans and seal​

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Being that you are a southern belle there aint but one way.
    Sliced, and fried in the cast iron frying pan.

If you like a fried green mater you'll love em. I do.

9. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You can always use zukes in the ol' standby - stirfry. We like to slice up a ring of polska kielbasa sausage in a skillet, let brown & simmer for a bit, then add a bag of California mix (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and steam down, then add some diced bell peppers, onion & a zucchini. Sometimes right at the end I will throw in a can of saurkraut, cooking just enough to get it to temp. Good stuff... Hope this helps.

10. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    thanks for the recipes, I will be tryin some of them...is there a way besides pickling them to either freeze or can for later use?

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Grilled zuchinni.

Slice the zuchinni long ways about 1/4 of an in thick. coat liberally with EVOO, salt pepper garlic powder and onion powder. Place on hot, and I do mean hot grill *(mine is normally at about 500 degrees.)* Grill for a few mins each side until you get nice dark grill lines. Serve with a light sprinkle of parmesean cheese on top.

Grilled zuchinni & squash

Slice your zuchinni and squash very thin *(I use a cheese slicer for this)*
    Slice 1 yellow onion.
    Mix all together and place in a large foil packet, add some butter, TSS Herbal Red, TSS Savory Salt Free, and some Sweet Basil.
    Place on grill for 20-30 mins *(if done right the foil packet will "pillow up" because of the steam build up inside)* Turn over 1 time durring cooking.
    WONDERFUL

Skillet Zuchinni & Onions

Slice your zuchinni very thin. Slice up 1 yellow onion very thin also.

Layer your zuchinni and onions in a large skillet, add 1/8th stick of butter to the pan in small pats. Place over med-high heat covered until zuchinni becomes soft, and onions begin to appear translucent. Remove cover and top with slices of Kraft sliced swiss cheese. Not the real stuff, the processed sandwich slices. Continue cooking until the cheese is melted. GOOD STUFF

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Slice them the thickness you want, then place them on wax paper on a cookie sheet and place in freezer, once frozen, you can then move them to a bag and they won't stick together.

13. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    slicing & freezing works fine.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I just slice em, throw some "I cant believe its not butter" spray on em, some Chipolte Cowgirl or Juicy Pig, and grill em to perfection.

I love grilled zuks.

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Zuc bread is one of the best ways to use it if you have lots of it. You can sread it in the amount needed for each recipe then freeze it in zip-lock bags. The bread is great it's kind of like spice cake.

Not sure if this is thwe same recip we use or not,but I have eat it made from different recipes and everyone of them were great.

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Yes you can bread them then freeze them pre-breaded or you can freeze them sliced for steaming. And per-spreaded for breads/cakes.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i like taking them and cutting in 1/2. scoop out a bit of the middle, seeds if thier large. rub with olive oil add some tomato or pizza / spagetti sauce, a few mushrooms and meat if ya choose. top with cheese and they can be baked or grilled.

i prefer sliced and egged and breaded and fried.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    they can be frozen for a couple months but after a few they seem to get dry. no pickeling needed. shredded can be frozen for zuchinni bread too.

19. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    ZUCCHINI BEEF BAKE

3 medium zucchini, sliced
    1 cup mushrooms, sliced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cans tomato sauce
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 green pepper, chopped
    2 cups shredded cheese

Saute zucchini & mushrooms in oil until tender.

In separate skillet cook ground beef, onion & green pepper. Drain excess liquid. Stir in tomato sauce & seasonings.

Layer half each of zucchini/mushroom mixture in lightly greased pan (13x9). Spoon half ground beef mixture over zucchini. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.

Bake uncovered @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake additional 5-7 minutes.

variation - add a hot pepper chopped while cooking meat meat to give it a kick.

Make fresh salsa - adjust the peppers to your liking:

quarter sweet cherry tomatoes
    cut squash & zucchini into small cubes (no seeds)
    dice a bell pepper finely
    dice a hot pepper finely
    dice a small piece of onion
    dice a small stalk of celery heart and leaves
    salt & pepper and toss lightly, allow to set 15 minutes in fridge
    add a liberal (I'm a conservative, though) dash of olive oil and let set another 15 minutes

Good as a side salad, garnish, or on chips

--------------------------------
    Hope you enjoy!

Dennis

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i made some salsa last week and added shredded zuchinni to it. it was suprizingly great. made 6 spicy jars and 6 hot jars. i had one that was under the leaves and i didnt see it till it was 2ft long and 6" in diam. not much good for frying with the seeds that big so i cut them out and utilized it in salsa. wont be the last time either.:wink: