Zote soap

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by heavyduty413, Jan 13, 2007.

1. heavyduty413

heavyduty413 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Has anyone had any luck fishing with Zote soap? I tried it, but didn't catch anything.

2. fishinforcats

fishinforcats New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey HD,

I have never heard of such a thing but am very interested in this concept and would like to have you tell me more about this if you would.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    There are many threads about using Zote soap, and Ivory soap, in the Boc library..

I use Zote soap on my trot lines and do very well with it. If your trying to use it on a rod and reel your wasting your time. Zote and Ivory are whats called, a slow bite bait. They dissolve very slowly leaving a oily trail that the Catfish will follow.

Remember that what works in one water, may, or may not work in another. Soap will catch fish but normally eater size fish. If you are after the bigger fish then you need to try different type baits...

Hope this helps..

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As it was always my understanding that that it was strictly trotline bait. I don't have a boat so I have no way of setting a trotline. Sure would love to learn though!:smile2:

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now tell me how does a guy put soap on a hook.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You cut it into small squares (3/8"-1/2") and push the point of the hook into the middle of it.

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Last year I was introduced to zote soap while fishing Choke Canyon in south Texas. My uncle met a guy that had 3 coolers full of fish he claimed he caught on zote soap.

About 4 months ago I met up with my uncle at Lake Fork Central/East Texas lake, and he had a few channels he had caught on the soap.

The way he was told to use it is to place it just under the surface on trotlines. The second day the soap had dried out so we were unable to rebait using the zote, so we rebaited with fresh shad, and caught twice as many using shad the next day.

It definitely works, but im skeptical about weather it would out produce other baits. And its kinda hard to bait, if it has dried out at all.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We used to use a soap called Blue Barrel,when we were commercial fishing back in the 50's & 60's. I don't even think this brand name is made anymore. We used to use this soap to bait our 100 hook trot lines when we couldn't get any other type of bait. We always caught fish on it,but the weight didn't add up very fast. Seemed like the only fish that would bite it were small fish. It was always very hard on hooks too,as after using it for a couple of days the hooks would start rusting. I don't really ever remember using it over 2 days in a row,thank god,as changing 2,000 hooks at a time is kind of time consuming!! I've never had any desire to try soap on rod & reel,simply because of the reasons I've mentioned above.
    Glenn

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of zote soap. I think I will stick to live bait.