Zote soap

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by PeZ, Jun 21, 2006.

1. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    does anyone know where to buy Zote soap in the tulsa area and has anyone tried it around NE oklahoma?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    what is it? never hear of it before.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I could pick some up for you and ship it to you if need be, we have it at a local dollar store... for a whopping dollar a bar, I am not looking to profit off of this, just cost and shipping would be it!

Aaron

TA2D

4. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Me too!!
    Just cover the cost, I'll get ya all you want!!!
    My store got in Pink. Don't know if it comes in other flavors or not?

Shoot me a PM!!!

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    hey...the pink will match someone's tutu...i know what someone is getting for christmas....lol

6. G-Funk

G-Funk New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can do the same for the Zote soap...I have yet to use it but heard it works fairly well, and it isn't as smelly as fish and if you use cut fish/shad you can use some zote too and wash up afterwords...gl

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I just found noticed something today that you all may be interested in. I was shopping in a Mexican food store and noticed they had Zote soap. This is the first time I have seen the stuff around here. You may want to check out your local Mexican store and see if they carry it as well.

8. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OR...save the gas and order direct from Mexgrocer online:

Zote 12 bars 13.50

Zote sirve como carnada para pescar "cat fish". Otras formas de llamar el Pez Gato son: Siluro, Silurus Glanis, Wels Catfish o Catfish angling.

Ideal for Catfish bait. Fishing recipe: cut a bar of Zote soap into 5 or 8 chunks, it also works well for cat fishing, then you also have hand cleaner. Works well. Tight Lines...Zote Soap

9. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the link Jeff. It should help out a lot of folks. I would rep ya but I have to spread it around before I can hit you again.

10. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am in St Louis but I was able to find Zote at the first Mexican grocery store that I tried. They had both the red and white types and even two size bars to choose from. The large bars were one dollar and the smaller ones are sixty nine cents.

11. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I always get mine from a mexican grocery store only place ive seen it.

12. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I've heard of Zote soap, and heard of people that knew somebody that used it on their trotline or limbline.... but do any of you actually use it? Does it work for you?

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Check the dollar stores and Tienda de Mexicano are Mexican markets. Those are the two places I have seen it in the past.

14. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There is also a site called the mexican grocer. I just got six bars of the pink for about a buck a bar + shipping. Big bars too. It is soft, and will mold onto you hooks easy. Hope it works. Good fishin', Jack.

15. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    try the dollar stores them seem to have it

16. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok i found some ZOTE soap in Tulsa, OK @ the mexican store on pine just west of harvard. 1.09 a bar and man these bars are huge allmost 1lb so i will give it a try and get back with everyone on the trial run.

This stuff is 66% animal fat should due very well on jugs.

Here is a picture of my new bait :cool2: .

I have heard alot of good things about it from people in Texas.

Attached Files:

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tom,

Glad you found some Zote soap in your area.

Zote is all I use on my trot lines when I set them out. I mainly catch eaters on it, but have caught some around 9#'s on it too.

This is the size fish I target so the Zote works great for me. Just remember that Soap is a slow bite bait, and it takes awhile for the film to start to draw in the catfish.

Soap may, or may not, work in the waters you fish. It does work good in my area .. I hope you get a bunch with it.

18. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Hey Tom & Bud,

How do you hook it? Does it stay on well? How much do you use?

I'm really trying to think of a good joke about using soap to catch fish that clean themselves, but it just isn't coming to me....:big_smile:

19. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You cut it down to about 2 inch long by one inch wide and 1/2 inch thick peices, And just put it on a hook like a worm. It has so much animal fat in it 66% that it allmost has the consistancy of a piece of pork fat. You can mold it like clay allmost very weird stuff. Its is used for hand washing clothes not hands so its pretty tough.

20. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    wonder if you can heat the stuff to get the "juices" flowing better.