Zote Soap?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, Jun 14, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I saw some of this at our local dollar store (convieniently priced at $1) so I took a look, it stated on the package that it was 66% crude animal fat or something along those lines, would this work? Oh yeah it was pink too!!!

Aaron (who is curious about soap for bait)

TA2D

2. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I have read alot about zote soap for catfishing; since its comprised mostly of animal fats the cats love it and some of my friends swear by it too. Ivory soap works well also as i have heard.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Yes Sir,

Zote soap does work for catching Channel catfish, and some smaller blues.

It works very well on trot lines, and I'm sure it would on jug and limb lines, although I haven't used any of those. The fat content in the soap will attract catfish.

Remember that this is whats called a slow bite bait meaning it has to be in the water for quite awhile for it to work. I have found that Zote soap does not work well on rod & reel.

Not ALL bait works in ALL waters. What works good where I live may not work as well where you fish. You got to admit though that this is a very clean and cheap bait. I normally catch fish between 1.5# to 9# using Zote.

4. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I would love to be able to say that I caught a channel using soap, that is awesome!

5. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    they sell zote soap for catfish on ebay lol

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It will work.
    We used to use P&G soap. Now that stuff would catch fish like crazy.
    Pete

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hmmm... how would I go about using this for a bank or trot line? Would I cut it into smaller squares and use a treble hook? Any help would be appreciated!

Aaron

TA2D

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

The way I use mine is:

Turn the bar on it's edge and cut the bar twice down equally,

Now lay the bar down and cut 4 times long ways,

Now cut across the bar equally as many times as needed, the idea is to make the chucks about 3/4" each..

One bar of Zote soap will make around 50 peices of bait...

I use a 2/0 or 3/0 J hook on my trot lines.

9. 1ucky 0xyg3n

1ucky 0xyg3n New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Always worked good on limb lines for me

10. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'm going to try the Ivory soap tonight!:crazy:

11. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Tony,

You might want to take a small drill bit with you to make a small hole in the Ivory soap. Ivory soap is very hard and it will crumble when you go to put the hook in it.

By using your finger tips twist the drill bit on a chunk of Ivory and it will make a nice hole for your hook to go through..

12. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks bud1110!!

I used it last night and didn't catch anything on it!!!:angry::embarassed::angry: I was using the Ivory. Glad I had my cast net and caught some fresh shad for cut bait to save the night!!!:big_smile::big_smile::cool2:

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had no luck at all with Ivory Soap in Georgia's Savannah and Ogeechee Rivers.I can say the same about Premo Blood Super Sticky Catfish Dip Bait.People rave about and catch fish on both in some places.peewee-williams

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tony,

Was you using the soap on a rod and reel?? If so there's the problem.

Soap has to be left out for a very long period of time to attract fish. That's why I only use it on trot lines. Like I said before, what works in my waters may not work in your's...

I prefer the Zote over the Ivory myself, it comes in a pink color that seems to do much better than the white color.

I'm glad you had your net with you, and hope you caught a few..

15. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Zote almost exclusively on juglines in the Spring for channel cats. As we get into summer, I switch over to bluegill and cut baits. Then when the catalpa worm show up (July), I'll start with them. Next, the big late summer grasshoppers, and finally back to Zote in the fall.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep it works but I wouldn't recommend it for pole fishing it does better on jugs and trot lines.