Zote soap..questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Wac M Trac M, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone on here use Zote soap? I found some for sale at a mexican market store near my town. It's pink zote soap..smells like fabric softener.

How well does it work...I'm guessing it will catch small 1 to 3 pound fish only..right?

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have tried this stuff here in Missouri, and I swear it tainted my fishing whole the night I used it.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Frank,

I am guessing that you are going to use the Zote soap for trot lines correct? It's pretty much worthless on a rod & reel. Soap is what is called a slow bite bait and it takes quite a while for the soap to attract the Catfish to it. Hence not using on rod & reel.

The pink soap out fishes the white, or at least for me it does. Cut the soap in sections where you end up with 1/2 to 3/4" squares. Zote soap is easy to cut with a sharp knife. I always have good luck using soap just leave it out for several hours before running your lines.

I have caught a few Cats up to 9lbs on soap, but thats pretty rare. Usually 1lb to 4lb cats are caught. The good thing about using soap is nothing but Catfish will bite it. Hence no turtles or gar to deal with.. if your expecting, or wanting larger Cats, use a different bait.

Good luck and be careful out there. Don't run trot lines alone, and keep a sharp knife readily available.. Hooks don't care what they grab...lol

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Zote and Ivory soap are pretty good bait for trotlines for eater sized cats..

Like Bud said.. 1 to 4 lbers. I've caught up to a 13lber on it tho.

You can melt it down and add other scents and ingredients to it if ya choose to try and make it better or more attractive to the fishes senses.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    bet my shower soap would attract the hell out of em ;)