Zote Soap Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Old Bill, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I bought two bars of Zote soap, one white and one pink.

I cut the pink bar into 1/2" chunks and coated it with garlic powder.

What else can I add or do to make this bait attractive to catfish?

I'm saving the white bar just in case I need to wash some clothes!:wink:

Bill

2. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use what ever i have on hand . Last batch i use onion power,garlic power cheese ,sugar, cinnonmon ,lemon juice and a little corn meal. Heck it smelled pretty good when i got thru i thought about takeing a bit. Still thinking on that.

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I hope your not trying to use the Zote soap on rod & reels. Zote soap is a very slow bite bait that works well on Trot lines. It takes quite awhile for the soap to attract Catfish. It works well for me on my Trot lines. I don't know if there is anything you could put on it to make it a good bait for Rod & reels...

I have found that the Pink seems to work better than the white...

4. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bud1110, I going to use the Zote soap bait for jug lines.

Thanks for the reply.

Old bill

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I had no luck with that soap on rod and reel, Bud is correct they bite slow or not at all.when used on rod.

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    A commercial bait soap I know of uses anise oil. Very effective on juglines if you are wrking them.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hi Master Catfishermen!

Returned from 14 days at the lake yesterday.

While at the lake I caught a few catfish using the Zote Soap Bait, covered in garlic powder. However, I was catching many more catfish using beef stew meat with garlic powder, (and the stew meat was staying on the hooks much better) that I quit using the soap bait.

For a cheap bait it worked out just fine, and I will use it again...I still have about 50 soap cubes left!

Old Bill

8. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    havent used my zote soap yet, but the question i have is does color really matter, different scent or is it just the color?

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Both Zote & Ivory soaps are 'cheap' soaps that use animal fat in their manufacture. This is what attracts the cats (slowly). One summer, back when I was in college, I kept some throwlines out off the company dock in Chattanooga, on the Tennessee River. I didn't catch a lot of fish, but I caught enough for us to eat all we wanted. You can melt these soaps down and add whatever you feel might help. I did that and added a bunch of bacon grease. I've only tried this concoction once, because I don't usually anchor my juglines. Didn't catch anything on the 4 or 5 hooks I had baited with it, but then I didn't catch anything on the other baits either.

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Zote and Ivory soaps work pretty good on trotlines early in the spring. Down here in south Arkansas that's from early March thru May. After that the weather starts getting too hot and it doesn't work too well. It melts away too quick and puts out too big a scent trail for the cats to locate it. I read a biological report on catfish which said catfish are covered with taste buds all over their skin so essentially they are a swimming tongue and can taste things thru the water as far as twenty feet away. Keep that in mind next time your choosing your baits in relation to what time of year and weather that you are going fishing.

The big advantage to the soaps are that you won't catch anything else with them except for catfish. Nothing else will bite the soaps.