zippo lighters

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Feb 21, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fer anyone that uses a lighter dont go buy them little jugs of 'LIGHTER FLUID"
    Got your local farm store-paint supply and but naptha (THINK I SPELLED IT RIGHT) Its the same stuff -for 7-10 bucks you can save 30.I thought Id throw this out there a friend pionted it out to me and its true.....

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    be careful using Naptha. thhat stuff will eat through just about anything made of plastic. trust me i know.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL. I thought Zippos were just to look at anyways. I have several of them, but don't use them. I hate how they leak in my pocket, and the fumes reminds me of a kerosene heater. BUT...if I ever change my mind, I'll heed your tip! :big_smile:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I carry a case and yes I smoke-most cases are made for bics but I have a buddy that has made a plug so a slight modification and ......bic turns zippo

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Naptha, never heard of it. I carry a zippo with a case. Keeps it out of the pocket. Works great.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I carried a Zippo for more than 30 years....until I quit smoking 7 weeks ago. Never tried Naptha in it. When I was in the Navy I burned jet fuel in it. Now wind could blow it out. I had to close it to turn it off.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Zippos are great lighters that can last a lifetime.All the parts are replaceable, they light everytime and have been around a long time.I once dropped mine in the river and it took a minute to get to it.Opened it up and zippo there was flame.I was sold.Thanks for the tip.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Good deal on the quit smoking. Its been almost 2 years for me and I still catch myself reaching for a smoke. Bad habit.

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Billie congrats on quiting smoking reps to you.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good idea, I carry a zippo, one for the operation in Bosnia, got it from my nephew. Its a good quality one, not like the old cheap ones I used to have. I had a pretty good one in mid 70's, but I gave it to a friendl, wish I still had that one. This one don't light like the old ones did tho.

11. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I carry mine with me everyday comes in handy.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I've a few "good old one's", 5 to 7 slash marks on the bottom. Some collecter types, Marlboro etc. Don't use'm anymore either, I quit over 30yrs ago.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    to any of you that have quit my hats off to you-I dont supose I am ready yet cause I am still diong it....and I know there are a few out there that still do...

14. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i had trouble with the hinges . they didnt hold up to 4 packs camel filters a day.:sad2: i quit cold turkey in 93 when diagnosed with emphsemu :big_smile: :cool2: a case of pbr went along with em

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I carry my zippo with me everywhere I go. I use one of the older ones. I have about 5 different ones...wouldn't take nothing for them.:crazy:

16. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    It's been almost 7 years since I quit carrying mine, I still have it, but it's now a doodad on the shelf. I also find myself reaching for my pocket once in a while. Later Andy