Zebra's

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by center12, Oct 16, 2009.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Posted this on the Wilson Thread, but felt it would be more appropriate posted here.

"Not a real big surprise, but the Kansas river now has a growing population(at least from Perry down). We cleaned our Presed basin at the Kaw plant and found about a half million attached to the walls. We pump straight from the river into this basin. It was cleaned in the Fall of 2007 and we had no zebra's then, we had full sized adults in there this time.........they had to of hit in the spring of 08. Went down by the intake last week and picked one off a shoreline rock, took about 2 minutes of looking to find it.

They are in the river and I see no reason for them not to populate heavily. Was hoping it would take them about 9 years to get here(then I'd retire), but they do spread fast. Anyway, just a heads up about the river."

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I hate to hear about them hitting any place but the Kaw is real bad news. The lakes at least get attention but the Redheaded step child might start to look real bad real quick. Please this is a serious problem no JJ jokes please! :smile2:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    might actually replace the food supply for blues and channels in the Kaw since the damn asian carp have pretty much driven 99% of the shad outta there. :smile2:

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Being filter feeders, the zebra mussels also compete with the shad for food, putting additional stress on the remaining 1% that the carp haven't crowded out. I hope the blues are hungry for escargot. :sad2:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Going to have a mess once these get started thats for sure. Got the in a lake locally here an we finally have gotten somewhat control on them after 5 years.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Be good to your drum up there mussels are one of their favorite foods.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    nice disclaimer Dan !! :smile2::smile2:

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When they finally stocked blues in ElDorado the zebra mussel population started to decline. There may have been other factors involved also but every bluecat I've caught is rolly polly fat and I believe they've made a difference.