Zebra Mussels

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by playin4funami, Nov 23, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    the zebra mussel invasion is working it's way to a lake near you. this weeks victim Milford Lake in Ks.

JUNCTION CITY, Kan. (AP) — Zebra mussels have turned up in yet another Kansas lake.
    The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks confirms the tiny, invasive mollusks were discovered this week in Milford Lake, near Junction City.
    A boater found several zebra mussels attached to his boat when he pulled it from the water for the season. State biologists did a follow-up and found three more in the 16,000-acre lake.
    Zebra mussels have now been confirmed in eight Kansas lakes since they were first discovered in El Dorado Lake in 2003.
    The mussels spread in flowing water. They also travel within boats and bait buckets, and by attaching themselves to hulls.
    They're a nuisance because they clog intake pipes at water plants. The mussels also compete with native fish and mussels for food.
    ___
    Information from: The Wichita Eagle, http://www.kansas.com

at the rate these little bass turds are getting from lake to lake Nebraska will have them in all our lakes within 5 years if not sooner. Alot of Nebraska guys fish down at Milford, and you can bet that they'll get a free ride north sooner or later,and once here it will be all but impossible to stop the spread,and way too costly to try and treat larger lakes,they will be here to stay,bad news!:sad2::sad2::sad2:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I heard another fisherman on the bank mention somethin about em bein pretty good bait around here.

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    no doubt that catfish do like to eat them,but the damage they do will ruin a fishery fairly quick from what I've read.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm not altogether sure of the consequences of Zebra Mussels. We have them here at Lock and Dam 19 on the Mississippi. The were a pain for the water intakes at the water plant, but they have found that chlorine kills them, and have developed new screens ect. to deal with them. Anyway the catfish are eating them, and like any Mussel, I believe they are helping clean up the river. They are no doubt a problem being an invasive species, but they are here and we have to deal with them, and there are a multitude of ways developed for this problem. What I hope doesn'y happen is the Asian carps don't invade any more than they have already. That is a real bad problem. later Andy