Zebra Muscles are moving South

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Last night was the first time I have really noticed a lot of Zebra Muscles in the Walnut this far South. There are not a LOT, but they are definately there.

My nephew caught one of his flatheads last night on a large muscle. First time I have ever seen anyone catch a flathead on muscle before. They are excellent channel cat bait, but have never seen a flathead eat them.

2. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    At one of the El Dorado get togethers when cleaning a flat, Calvin noticed the zebra mussels and it looks like they came from the stomach. We wondered if they was eating them then and maybe they are for sure.

Dave

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am sure they are. I know KDWP has been stocking El Dorado with Blue Catfish for this very purpose. On a sample last spring, they netted several small blue cats that they could tell by feeling their bellies they were eating the muscles.

4. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Unfortunately, they've made it as far south as Keystone. They won't stop until they hit the Gulf of Mexico. The good news for our neighbors to the south is that they already have good populations of bluecats and that will go a long ways towards control. I (don't) know why Kansas is so reluctant to stock enough blues to really do some good in El Dorado? They are going to put another 16,00 in this fall. If they were really as concerned as they try to sound they would be putting a million blues in El Dorado. I think the truth might be that the local bass fraternity is fighting it. Funny, Keystone is one of the top bass lakes in Oklahoma and is also one of the top blue cat lakes.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've noticed all cats around here, Southeast Iowa have been eating them for some time. I have often wondered if there may be a good side to the Zebra muscle story. I'm talking about their ability to filter the water like clams do. Does anyone know about this?
    Later Andy

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am no expert, but I do have a biology degree, and from what I have read they actually do too good of a job of filtering the water. The problem is the massive quantity these things are capable of producing. You get so many of them they filter out to much of the microbes and other nutrients vital to the natural balance of the aquifer.

Calvin, one of the cats I caught last night was a blue. He was about 5 lbs, and is now in our lake!

Didn't Winfield Lake used to have blues in it a long time ago? I seem to remember when I was little reading about people catching them there?

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think Winfield lake does have blues in it. Its really unusual to find a blue all the way up by Douglass. Although I've caught walleye in the Little Nut and claude and I caught a Northern Pike by Gordon once.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Two of my buddies caught a Northern Pike West of Douglass when we were in Jr. High. I am 100% sure this was a Blue, he was night and day different from the rest of the channel cat we caught.

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I never have figured out for sure where a Northern Pike came from in the Walnut. I guess it might have come up from Kaw Lake, but don't know for sure if they ever put them in there. Another possibility is that they came from Butler County Lake somehow. I assume the walleye in the Little Nut must have came down the Big Nut from El Dorado and back up the little nut. They had to get over several dams to do it, but in high water I guess that's possible. We'd probably be amazed if we knew what was swimming around in some of our lakes and rivers.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, That's for sure! I always figured anything is possible, after all, nature was responsible for originally stocking every body of water. Sometimes we forget that, and only take into acount what species man has manipulated and moved around. When you consider the sizes of some of the floods we have had over the years, there could be all kinds of possibilities for any body of water.

Not to mention the pranksters and idiots that decide their pet alligators are getting to large, so they turn them loose!:roll_eyes:

11. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Supposedly there is a gator in ElDorado. I've never seen it, but apparently several campers have wittnessed him. I'd think a gator would have a tough time making a living in El Dorado during the winter. It gets down to the 20's at Santee Cooper in the winter and they have them.
    The Walnut River is the keeper of many secrets. There are at least six bodies unaccounted for between Augusta and Gordon.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They found 2 or 3 gators around Cheney last summer. One was about 100 yard from where we usually camp. I don't know if they could make it through a winter or not, but still puts a lot of scare into people.

Have you ever had much luck in that stretch from Gordon to Augusta, or South of Gordon for that matter?

13. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I was younger I practically lived on the Walnut between Augusta and Gordon. I had acces to almost that entire stretch (6 miles) of river. I fished mostly from the bridge on 77 to Clarence Kemper's place. That was about four miles and included where the Walnut and Whitewater come together. There is a lot of excellent water all through that stretch. What I didn't have permission on Claude Elliott did. We had it made.

14. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio