Zebco Rhino Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by AwShucks, May 26, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just saw a zebco paid advertisement on their "Rhino Indestructible" rods. Showed video of being shot through an air cannon and just bouncing off the plywood target - 14 times and the rod was not damaged. Showed them holding the rod by the tip and flexing it like you'd crack a whip - no damage. Showed the rod laying against a curb and a car drove over the rod - no damage. Showed a comparison stress test between the Rhino and other rods preferred by professional fishermen - loaded rods with 80 lb. test line - no damage to the Rhino as the line broke - all rods of the competitors were shattered. Now, I know they wouldn't have paid for the airtime to show their rods were the same as everyone elses rods. But, from what I have seen, my next several small rods will be the Rhino Indestructible - with a free replacement/repair of the rod, not for your lifetime, but forever. I was dumbfounded at what they were doing with the rods.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a Rhino spinning rod, and like it very well, even though it wasn't designed to use with heavy line. It's my lightest catfish rod.

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I have one of those and I really like it alot, it's a good rod and reel.
    I use it every time I go fishing and it takes alot of abuse.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i have one and like 3 of the guides are loose,and one feel all the way off, mine is the white rhino, i dont know if thats the samething though

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got a lighter baitcaster that is a rhino...it's a tough rod. i'm not going to say what kind of fish I use it for. I don't want to be shunned.

6. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have two that I use for fishing other than river cats on the Mississippi.

7. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    From my experience I have to shun the Rhino. I saw the commercial of Bill Dance running over one with an late 90s Z71 4x4 and trailer...then came the catfish Rhino Rod, supposedly tough as nails. Well a week into action I had a 10lb Channel snap it in half, went to Wally World, got it replaced. Hit one up around 5lbs in Watts Bar below the dam, fair current and snap it went.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have an older Rhino baitcaster (medium action) and have been very happy with it. Mine is a bit small for the top end of what I catch but it has yet to let me down.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    The rhino indestructable rods that you speak of are, well, indestructable. At least the blanks. The blanks themselves really are pretty close to indestructable, and I put mine through a lot of abuse (throwings, steppings, yellings LOL). The one that I have is a little flimsy, but they have other ones that are stiffer and I am sure would make excellent channel cat rods. The guides, on the other hand, are what I believe to be a cheap kind of aluminum, and it didnt take long for the tip to just get completely messed up. But if you just want one that wont break if you attempt to snap it over your knee, this is probably the way to go. Hope this helps :smile2:

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Got a couple of new reels sitting here at the desk. May just have to go check them out. Thanks for the post.

11. imhotep

imhotep New Member

State:
    Rosiclare, Illinois
    i have 2 of those rods....about the only thing i find is the line guide on the tip of them are hard to keep the spider wire i use from cutting into it....i replaced them with the ceramic tips and they are great...i fish the ohio river for big blues ...and the have not failed yet ....

12. proughman

proughman New Member

State:
    PA
    I was looking at one of these at walmart last night, Do you think this thing would handle flatheads?

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They showed a guy snagging a 70 lb spoonbill, and it handled it. Guess it is more on the person than the rod. I guess there are exceptions to every rule, but isn't that life...the thing is if you do run across the exception, Zebco will replace that rod free of charge, not in just your life time, but to quote Garth Brooks, " in his children's, childrens lifetime". That is a long time for an investment of $30.00 to $50.00.

14. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I make most of my rods myself, but last year my wife bought several used rods at a yard sale and among them were 2 Rhino 6 1/2 foot rods with most of the guides missing. I cleaned them up and replaced the eyes and my son-in-law is using them and loves them.

I have 2 seven foot Ugly stiks I have had for over 20 years and they have seen a lot of action.

15. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I just saw that same commercial this morning! It was insane what those rods could handle!

I myself have a medium Rhino Kevlar I got onsale somewhere, and it has been my channel slayer for about a year now, and I'm very happy with it. The rod has outlasted two crap reels I paired it with. Better yet, the rod will stop a bullet!:roll_eyes:

16. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I saw one at walmart and after the big guaranteed forever on the infomercial the rod just has a tag that says limited lifetime warranty

17. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have one I'm realy happy with mine.

18. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I own a rhino rod for 12 years ???and was given a zebco about 10 years which I break them out once and awhile but cant complain about them
    STILL LOVE MY ABU GARCIA

19. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I have 3 Rhino rods with Kevlar. I have had them for 2-3 years and they are good rods in my opinion. I don't think I would fish for big flats or blues with them tho. I have fishing in a few creeks and pulled in some 8-9 lbers tho.

20. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have 2, 1 in spinning for glowtip for channels and 1 castiing 6'6" good sturdy rods. I don't use them all the time but once in a while I creek fish with them.