zebco reels vs. penn

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by sharpshooter95, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sharpshooter95

sharpshooter95 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Why do baitcast reels such as the penn 209 appear more in the catfish world than normal zebco reels. Is there any major difference besides that one looks cooler than the other and can hold more line?:eek:oooh:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    QUALITY!

Welcome to the BOC​

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Randy hit the Nail Right On The HEAD!!!!!

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That's about like putting a Rolls Royce against a V.W.:roll_eyes: No comparison.
    After saying that{ WELCOME to the BOC.}

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Agreed!!!! I can't bring myself to say both brands in the same sentence, NO COMPARISON!!!:wink:

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    It would be like going to cut down some trees. Would you rather take a hand saw or a chain saw? Both MIGHT get the job done in the long run, but you're probably going to ruin the hand saw and be disappointed with the results in the long run. Welcome to the BOC

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yes welcome to the BOC had a brain fart or i would have welcomed you erlyer

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jared regardless of all thing's fish with what ever you have and have a good time doing it! Yes there is a huge difference between the two but they both reel in fish and will put food on the table :smile2: Fish On

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL.
    In response to your question, I would have to say the biggest difference in the Zebco and the Penn 209 would be the gears and drag system. If your main focus is on catching smaller fish in the 2-10lb range, the Zebco's have proven for years they will do the job. If you target larger fish 20lb and over I would suggest the Penn over the Zebco's. Good luck.

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    First off welcome to the BOC, The difference between a penn 209 and a normal zebbco(what ever that is:eek:oooh:) would be like the defference between a Weatherby 300 mag, and a Daisey bb gun, one being the real thing and the other a toy :wink: yep they both shoot and can kill a rat:smile2:

11. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It would be a funny sight seein somin slingin out a 14 inch carp and 4 oz of lead with a zebco:big_smile:

12. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I won't disagree with my BOC Brothers,but myself personally I was raised on Zebco's. They do make a Saltwater Reel. As for monster cats I can't say, I'm still searching for one.Welcome to the BOC,come on in and kick your shoes off and set a spell.:smile2:

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jared Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. You have recieved a lot of good answers to your question.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC Jared.

16. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Not that I am picking a fight or anything, But Zebco is a division of W.C. Bradley Co Who also owns Quantum Van Staal And Fin-Nor in addition to Zebco. I personnally like my Zebcos and Quantums and would not trade my Fin-Nor for any Penn.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    First Welcome to the BOC !!! Now here is my opinion on your question. Penn reels have been around a bit longer than Zebco. A lot of us started out with Zebco and wanted to be like dad that had that big old round reel. Penn is probably a far superior reel for big fish because that's what they were designed for. I can remember back in the late 50's early 60's when Zebco 33 was the craze of most fishermen that I knew of.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    gears for one thing,i mean a penn and zebco thats apples and oranges really.now i swear by the older zebco 33s i still have a few from when i was a kid and they were given to me by my grandfather who had them lord knows how long before passing them down.but they dont make them like that anymore,most companys make things with the cheapest parts they can buy even if it effects there quality.

19. sharpshooter95

sharpshooter95 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I know that penn rocks and zebco doesn't compare. But what about the designs? What makes the baitcast models such as the penn 209 or 309 better. If they were equal in quality what would make the baitcast system better?

Thanks for your time!