zebco prostaff 888/berkley big game rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by unclebobo, Jun 10, 2008.

1. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    My wife bought me a zebco prostaff 888 reel and a 7ft m/h berkley big game rod for my birthday 2 weeks ago was just wondering how good of a setup this is?I plan on going out this weekend just wanting a heads up on this.Thanks.

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    My mom has fished with zebco 888's for years and has had no problem. About the biggest fish she has caught is 10 lbs. This weekend I took her fishing and she caught a 8 lb and 4 lb blue with no problems. I dont think they are to bad for lighter fish. A few years back her and dad fished just about every weekend for years. Personaly I like the bait casters. Just depends on what you are going to use it for. Just keep it clean as with any other reel and it will last longer.

Tom

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Should do well for fish up to 10 pounds or slightly more. I have found that the 7 foot MH Big Games rods have a little too much flex for river fishing. I use the 6'6" MH Big Game rods. You do have a combo that you can catch fish with though! Remember, there are exceptions to all rules, so you may land a 50 pounder with it! :)
    BB in SC

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i got an 8' berkly big game m/h action. couldend find a 7' m/h action. mines a pretty good rod so far.

5. Wudman

Wudman New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Check the drag on it before you head to the water. I just bought one for the boat (for the kids that can't handle the bait casters). The drag washers had a big glob of grease on them and had to be cleaned prior to use. It's been used a few times now and I think it needs to be cleaned again. The factory got a little carried away with the grease when they put that one together.

Wudman

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    It should work for most of your fishing. The former world record King Salmon (can't remember the weight, something like 75lbs??) was caught on a regular Zebco 808 and 25lb test and a 9ft spinning rod.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used the same 808 & 888 for over 30 years in fresh and saltwater.I know one is over 36 years old this year and I believe the other to be over 34 years old.Sharks weighing 100s of lbs. spooled me many times when they took my catch.I just re-spooled and went on fishing.I ran 18-20 lb.mono.and 12-14 lbs.measured drag.These were the old bronze bushing reels.I washed them and lubed them.

A few months back I gave them to my sons (39 & 42 ) as they were raised fishing with them.They still seem to be in great working shape in all respects.They have stood up as well as my Penns.I can say no more.

Approx 5 years ago I was given a Zebco SW-888 (last of the bronze bushings?) and a 8 ft.Berkley Reflex MH 1-4 oz. lure weight 10-25 lb.line wt.rod.It seems to be a great outfit.I look for it to last as well as the old ones as it is built much the same.It should easily outlast me.

I like a rod with some give.I have heavy reels and broom handle rods for horsing big fish that I kept for others to use.

I hope you enjoy yours for as many years as I and my children did mine.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Sounds good I love my 888 Prostaff but I have it on a Cat Claw 8' rod. Your set-up should work out fine.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your new set up.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    A friend of mine cought a 41lb blue with the 888 on a eagle claw cat claw rod he said had no truble with it, and by the way Zebco has redone there reels for the better hope you enjoy your new set up and good luck fishing