Zebco Mercury 33 Prob.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by PWillis, Jun 26, 2007.

1. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    I have a Zebco Mercury 33 that I have had for about 4 years and has started giving me fits.

It is very tight and hard to reel in and sometimes the drag tries to keep you from reeling in anymore. I have just gotten into fishing hard and heavy this year so I am still learning alot like about not to reel while your drag is being pulled, etc. It may just need some maintenance, if so, educate me on proper maintence on a zebco reel.

Just this last year my wife has bought me a Abu 5000 combo, Abu 6600cl Rocket (orange, which I love for some reason) w/ an Ambassaduer rod, and I have also purchased a Berkley Big Game rod for my new Zebco 808. One more and that a Shakespeare Tiger spin cast combo that I have had just as long as that merc. zebco 33. The Abu Garcia reels seem very easy to maintain.

Anyway, now that I have rambled on about everything else, any help with the Zebco Mecury 33 would be appreciated... by the way this is my first post I believe.

Philip

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Welcome to the forum.
    The Zebco 33 is an easy reel to take apart and clean,I use fairly hot soapy water to clean them and rinse good.Old toothbrush is good to clean the gears.Use proper oil on the shaves and reel grease on the gears.Be sure that the drag components don't get oil or grease on them.
    Jake

3. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome to the BOC.
    yeah, it sounds like you may need to do a little cleaning on the reel. 33's are one of the easist reels to clean so you should have it back in the water in no time.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC Phillip!!! Glad you could join us!!!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Philip Welcome to the BOC:big_smile:

6. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    welcome aboard hope you love this site like i do

7. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    Thanks for the help and the replies on the reel. After looking at the reel I guess I labeled it wrong as far as a Zebco Mercury 33, it is actually a Zebco Mercury. Not a 33. Anyway I am sure it cleans the same way. I cleaned it with some dawn dish soap, hot water and toothbrush.

I think the problem is that the gears show excessive wear from lack of cleaning so that is why it is so rough on the retrieve. It will be ok, just not like it should be.

Thanks again for the replies.

Philip