zebco hawgseeker

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cj7, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I recently bought a zebco hawgseeker for my wife. Well we took it out the first time and it wouldn't release or reel in. it took about 30 minutes of fooling with it to get it to do either and then it would freespool on its own. :roll_eyes: Other than comic relief I would not recommend it

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find her somthin better so she doesnt beat you with it.:crazy::smile2:
    When they start tryin to put lights and speakers on a reel it doesnt leave any room left for the important stuff.:smile2:

4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    My grand kids like the red flashing light and beeping sound. :roll_eyes:

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's odd. Rythmroach swears by em'. You must have gotten a bad one. :smile2:

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    chris, when my wife started fishing with me i bought her a spincasting reel for the ease of use. i cant remember how many different models i bought her thinking that i would find one that she could use and would be trouble free but after many dollars and frustrated fishing trips later i decided to teach her to cast a baitcaster. now she fishes with baitcasters and we are both alot happier. all the money i spent on spincast rigs would have bought her 2 top of the line baitcast reels. save your money and bite the bullet and teach her with a baitcast and save all the headaches. :wink:

7. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I own 2 of em, had to take one back,quit reelin,got the new one aint had an ounce of trouble out of either one since,i love em,might get some more...

8. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    :crazy: We took the zebco back and what do you know THey would only exchange it without a reciept. So I picked out the best one {another hawgseeker}:smile2: Wish us luck. Thats good advice Billy we will also always bring along at least one spare rod

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I bought my son one of those pole's and reel's it work's great he has caught many kitty's and striper's on that set up with out a problem...There are some member's on here that said they have caught up to 40 pound cat's with it!!!

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    ok why did they not want to exchange it wth out a reciept?

11. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I own one of the Hawgseekers... I bought it thinking the light and alarm would be great for that "BIG" cat bite... However, with it being set on the most sensitive I had no luck with the light and alarm, I have caught a couple cats on it but the light and sound I believe are a gimmick unless you try ocean fishing with it where maybe a marlin will hammer the bail and drag on it to set it off! (sarcasm) LoL... It is a decent "heavy" setup, and I am not upset that I bought it, but I think the "gimmick" is out there to get you "hook, line, and sinker" when buying it...

:cool2:

That small Flathead in my avatar was caught on the Hawgseeker...

12. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    He probably got it at Wally World. They will not give you your money back without a reciept. Thats why I quit buying tackle there except hooks. Once in a while they will have the big Eagle claw circle hooks.

13. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i have one that i bought my ex-wife, which i kept LOL, took the reel off and slapped a abu 6600bcx on it, the rods are pretty nice rods, but the reel in my opinion isnt that great, take away the bite alarm and you have a 888 basicly and the bite alarm only works with the bails closed, so if you try using it with the button pushed or bail open (spinning model) the bite alert is useless, all in all not a bad setup for circle hooks and good bank rod holders or boating.

14. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jim is right wally would not refund our money without a reciept, but we at least got one that works. the beeper on the bite alarm doesn't but that thing drove me crazy anyway:crazy:. I know its a short trip:smile2:

15. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have one. The rod is strong and everything else about it sucks. I have a lot of rods and this is definitely my least favorite. The reel is useless.

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2 years ago. I haven't had any problems at all with mine. Mine is the spincast,cause thats the kind of reels I was raised with. I'm looking forward to catching a biggun with mine,at least I can think positive that I will Ha Ha:smile2::smile2:

17. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    Sorry to hear of the reel problems, sounds like a spinner head issue.
    I have a 733 Titanium, no problems at all. My neighbor has the Authentic model 733 he loves his. Zebco makes great reels,but unfortunately like all production items. A bad one slips through occasionally. Best of luck next time out.
    Rick

18. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    I too was given a spincast combo as a first rod & reel, I still use spincasters very much.
    Since I've been out of the hospital, getting back to the basics has really helped me, brings back such fond memories of fishing with my dad. I'm sure if my 33's or my 733 will handle a sizable carp no large or small mouth bass has a chance. I had an aneurysm burst on my brain. It's left me with many emotional problems, if going back to the way I started fishing helps me emotionally then it's worth the trade. To me the spincast is the quintessential design of a reel.

19. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    zebco, well i think they have gave up on quality parts, i got two 33 s for my boy s and took them camping, well the 2 reels broke the same mess up on both of them, thank god i had extra rigs. i got my wife the hawg seeker ( open face ) and she has only used it 2 times so far this year, so far so good, if this one craps out ,i ll keep the rod and pitch zebco, and teach her how to use a baitcaster ( as long as she dont use mine... lol . ):smile2:

20. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A buddy of mine bought 2 of them... same thing, they are junk in my opinion. Also the line is real weak that comes on them, it has to be changed.