Zebco Hawg Seeker?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BACKWOODSBOY350, May 2, 2008.

1. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    HAS ANYONE USED THE ZEBCO HAWG SEEKER YET IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD FOR SMALLER CATS

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    MY SON USED THE 808 FOR A WHILE LAST YEAR AND HE CAUGHT ALOT OF FISH WITH IT MAYBE IT WILL BE ABOUT THE SAME FOR THAT REEL

3. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    YEAH I USE THE 733 BUT I WAS ASKING ABOUT THE NEW ELECTRONIC BAIT ALERT SYSTER THANK YOU THOUGH

4. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    if ya talkin bout the one with the audiable alarm i bought 2

so far only taken out cpl times, no fish

the alarms work best if the pole is pointing towards where the bait is ie you cant throw your bait out and set in rod holder does not work hardly at all, even the book says so

all in all the line on it seems to be tuff stuff, slightly over filled for me... Rods seem to be strong let me catch cpl cats and give you more

so far i would buy them again if needed

ratin A (for now catch some and see then)

5. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i just got one of these last week, had it out over the weekend and caught quite a few on it. Like was stated seams to me there is way to much line on it, but performed well for me. I can't comment on the bite alert yet as i just really didn't use it. seams like it will work okay though. Not sure how it would do with a real hog... but it treated 6-8 lb blues and channels like they were a joke, so i suspect it would do fine.

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I was looking for the spincast combo as I already have a few good Shimano spinning reels I like and wanted something some of my less experienced friends or their children could handle. I couldn't find the rod + reel combo, but got the reel and matched it with a 7' Ugly Stik Catfish and it casts very nicely. I will be taking it out to a local lake this week to try it out. For those of you who may have used it, I understand that the alarm does not work well in a rod holder on the bank, but is it the spinning combo you are talking about? My spincast rod holder is adjustable and the rod tip points at less than a 45 degree angle toward the water, not straight up like a spinning rod holder. I think this setup might work. Well I will find out this week hopefully, and will post my results if/when I catch something.

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Good results with the spincast Hawg Seeker paired with the Ugly Stick Catfish. I didn't catch anything big, but it performed nicely with the few fiddlers I did get, albeit a little overkill compared to my smaller Shimano Solstace 4000 spinning reel. But I had to break it in on something, and got a few meals out of the trip. I was able to steer the fish away from the weeds for the most part with the rod. As for the bait alarm, it worked with the rod pointing toward the lake with a spincast rod holder, I assume it may be similar with a boat rod holder. I was using a 1/0 circle hook, dip worm, and Sonny's last night, had so many bites that I eventually just shut the alarm off. I don't yet know how well the alarm will do if I am not paying attention to my rods, but it seems to be better than nothing, or those bite indicator jingle bell things.

8. BlackWaterCatFisher

BlackWaterCatFisher New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought one of the spincast combo's when they opened the Gander Mountain here. I peeled off all the factory line and replaced it with some Flo. Blue Spider Wire 20lbs. test, second weekend I used it went in the canoe down the river and caught a mud turtle. He wasn't real big, almost fit inside a five gallon bucket. The rod never poped or cracked as I had it bowed over pretty close to what you see the ugly sticks on the tag. As far as the bite detector working, i'd say it needs some improvement.

9. ClintonRunner6

ClintonRunner6 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bought one of the spincast and the spinning combos. Haven't used either. Going to Santee-Cooper and hope to get into some hogs with these 2 rods. I'll let you guys know how they hold up when we get back.

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Last night, using the spincast model in a bank rod holder that points the rod tip toward the water, I set my bait using a circle hook. A bit later I was down the bank a little ways messing with some bluegills with my other rod, not paying any attention to my catfish rod. I heard the alarm go off and ran back, caught a 21" channel. The reel worked exactly as I expected, as advertised. This morning the identical thing happened, deja vu, I was messing around not paying attention to my catfish rod and the alarm alerted me to the fish, I ran back and caught another 21" channel. This is why I bought the reel and I am very satisfied with the way it performed. So much so that I am going to buy another.