Zebco Hawg Seeker

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 15, 2008.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Has anyone used the new Zebco Hawg Seeker? I saw them at walmart today and took one down and examined it... It really looked very well built, the rod loaded pretty well, the electronic alarm is nice and loud, the light is very bright, I am considering buying one and was wondering if anyone had used them

Thanks for the input
    Marshall

heres the link

http://www.zebco.com/products/SP_hawgseeker.html

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have seen carp fisherman with a reel similar to the one your looking at walmart, and they seem to work for them. I'm not really familiar those reels though, that your looking at.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Marshall, all I can tell ya is I picked one up for the wife this Christmas, she likes the spinning outfits, and I think that it will do just fine for most of our river fishing and striper trolling, It seems to be well built and not cheap feeling or looking, it has not been fished yet so I really can't say to much on the performance of it but she likes it, and I don;t fish with much spinning equipment other than UL, but it seems ok to me, the price was good and she liked the alarm and light for night time cat'n. Drag seems to be good on it it reels smooth and well balanced, like ya said the rod loads well, we will see in a few months for sure, but I see no reason it won't hold up. Just my $0.01 on it.
    Randy

4. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Thanks, I think I'm going to get one, if not just for the reel, I think the reel would be really good on a surf rod?, just a thought, but for now the combo is affordable and seems not to have any bad reports

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I saw it today at bass pro for 39. Looks like a nice rod and reel. I wonder is the bite alarm water proof. Good luck let us know how it works out for you.

6. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Just read its water proof.

7. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Ill let you all know how it feels when I get it... it wont be till I find a job though, but if someone really wants a review, dont hesitate to send me the combo lol, ill give it a work out for ya and let you know... but other wise it might be a while

8. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have been interested in the new hawg seeker and couldn't find a review so I just went out and got one last time I was near a Bass Pro. I got the spinning combo because I really liked the way the rod looked. Anyway, I went out this morning and caught a skipjack for bait and motored over to a spot where I usually catch something.
    I baited up and set it out with the sensitivity set at the most sensitive setting. About 15 minutes later I happened to see the rod tip start to move and about a second later the rod tip dipped and the audio/visual alarm went off. I picked up the rod and landed the 8 lb blue. Unfortunately, it was the only bite I got all morning.

The alarm feature appeared to work just as advertised. This will be really nice for night fishing or when you don't what to watch your rod too closely. I also really like the weight clip on the rod. Drag seemed OK. I also really like the large line capacity on the spinning reel.

On the down side, the reel only has 1 ball bearing and no selector switch for the anti-reverse which I find a little annoying. I would pay another $20 to have a couple more ball bearings and a anti-reverse switch. Maybe, this will be successful and more choices will hit the market.

All told, I think it is pretty good rig for $40; I may get another.