Zebco hawg seeker

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rasmotherman, Nov 17, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    Does anyone own the 'hawg seeker" from zebco? i personally hate bait casters and still prefer my old 33's over open faces. i checked this rod out and it seems stout enough but im wondering about the quality of the reel. a buddy of mine has the open face version and it seems decent. wal mart has them for $45. i would say the rod is as good as the uglystick. i like that the bait alert is adjustable. i played with the alert for awhile and you can set the sensitivity anywhere you want it. i have went through more rods this year than i have in my life and want something that will last awhile. being that i am poor, a $45 rod and reel is great. i cant afford the big guns. i recently got a pinnacle inertia for $5 but havent used it yet (it seems like a pos). any info on the hawg seeker would be great. also, i checked out that glo rod from berkley. i flexed it in the store, to feel its action, and it cracked and popped like crazy. what junk!

2. carl rake

carl rake New Member

State:
    kansasl
    I bought the hawg seeker early this year the rod is great but the reel is alot of plastic the thumb bar broke 4 months later. it is plastic no good . idid catch 4 10# catfish with no problems. to much plastic for me:cool2:

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one of the Hawg Seeker spinning set-ups, in my opinion is is not a bad set up. I also have Abu's, Cabelas King Kat set ups and those are great too. But that Hawg Seeker is my lucky pole for some reason. That pole always get twice as many bites than my other setups. Running the same line.

Compared to the Cabelas King Kat spinning set up, I like it better. After the battery goes dead in the bait alert it still is a decent rig for the money. Wish they had it on a longer pole though.

Even if it's not the best rig out there, I like mine, and mine is lucky, who can put a price on that?

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    is the battery replacable? i never took the bell off to check the guts out. and CARL my 33's have those stupid plastic buttons also. they break easy. thanks for the help guys

5. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah you can replace the battery. Im too cheap though :tounge_out:

6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    HAHAHA

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have the spinning combo too. Compared to the push button one its night and day, if you saw the spinning one I dont think anyone would buy the push button one. Mine has reeled in many 10 LB Cats and like everyone else, it gets more bites than any other reel I have for some reason lol. I just re-spooled mine with 50LB PP and it casts a country mile. I've owned it for almost 3 years now and my battery finally died a couple months ago. Its only 2 watch batteries, will probably swap them out friday and use this weekend

8. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have seen the open face reels. i think they are nice but i prefer the old push button. one of these days penn will make a quality push button that i can buy. im heading down to walmart to pick this rod up. im also hitting a friends shop to get some wheel weights. i will be all set for winter. thanks for the info guys

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Yes the batteries are replaceable I have a spincast hawg seeker and it does fine for channel cats I want to hook into a flatty with it to see if it can withstand the beating from that.The batteries are 2032 round cell batteries when you buy the setup it gives you instructions how to replace them mine died I never changed them a good rod holder and a circle hook =fish on most times good luck with your choice

10. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I have 1 push button a Zebco 808 BOSS HAWG, it has gotten the job done for me over the years but since I have started using spinning and baitcasters I dont use it much :sad2: But you are right, if Penn made a nice one I would definetly buy one from them, im sure it would be a winch as are the baitcasters, thats why I love them so much. Good luck with your purchase

11. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    now im laning towards the open face. you can order either from walmart for $35. at the store it was $45. decisions, decisions

12. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    If you have to also pay shipping im sure the couple bucks difference wont matter when you just purchase it from the store as you wont have to wait. Just some advice, It worked fine for me with the line it came on for 3 years as I didnt use it every trip but since the Braid went on it casts even further and horses fish in even better. The alarm is even more sensitive now with fresh batteries.

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I would definitely change the line to some good braid the line that comes on a combo is usually not so good there are exceptions but I never take that chance anymore

14. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Did ya buy it are what?

Which one?

:confused2:

I just put braid on mine today, used the factory line for a year.

:cool2:

Hope ya got the open face rig.

:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  15. festus

festus New Member

I broke my old surfcaster spinning rod Monday night I'd been using for years. The reel is still in excellent condition, so I stopped in at Wally world about 5:00 am to buy a replacement rod in a big hurry. Looked at Berkleys, Rhinos, and some other cheapies, and decided to get the white 8' Ugly Stick Catfish rod.

During all this browsing, I liked the looks of the spinning Hawg Seeker, and it had been marked down to $35, so I bought this combo, also. I fished during the morning with nightcrawlers on bottom and caught a small largemouth about 14". Afterward I hung in some rocks and had to tighten the bail to pull out of the snag, broke the line, and put the Hawg Seeker away while I crappie fished.

After I left, I moved to another spot and fished cut bluegill on the bottom after dark. I had the Hawg Seeker in a rod holder, all at once the light started flashing and the beeper went off, and the rod danced. I pulled it out of the rod holder, and realizing I had the drag set too tightly from the earlier snag, by reflex I reacted to being used to my old reel and was trying to set the drag at the back of the reel. The Hawg Seeker has a front drag, of course. The fish broke my original 20 lb. test before I realized what I was doing. About 20 minutes later I caught a 5 lb. blue cat on the Hawg Seeker, and everything worked well. Today I respooled it with Cajun Red 20 lb. test and will try it again soon.

I bought my girlfriend a Boss Hawg 808 spincast combo this spring for about $20 because she doesn't like spinning or baitcasting rods, and it has worked fine. As a matter of fact, I drug a 5+ pound largemouth from a pond lurking in a willow tree with the Boss Hawg. However, I would hate to tangle with a big striper in a current with the Boss Hawg, it just doesn't hold enough line.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  16. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    my wal mart doesnt have the open face, which i have decided to go with (thanks Wabah and Ramon). they will ship it to my house for 97 cents but will take 6-12 days and i was hoping to get out this week. i think i will have them ship it to the store (its free) and make it a christmas gift for myself. i will just take the old 33, the rhino, and my new pinnacle out. UNLESS...i make a trip to toledo, ohio this weekend to fish my old spot. then i will hit bass pro up there and get me the spinning reel there. i use 40lb stren on all my poles and it workes good (and on clearance at wally world). i will be using that on this also.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  17. festus

festus New Member

You'll like the Hawg Seeker, Rick, it's a little heavy but for the price you can't beat it. I put new line on it yesterday and I'm gonna walk through the woods to a neighbors pond later today and cast it a few times and get the new line broken in. I seldom go above 30 lb. test, but the specs on the spool says it will hold 165 yards of 25 lb. test. So I imagine it can take at least 100 yards of 40 lb. Stren.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009