Zebco Hawg Seeker w/ Bait Alert

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ThaWstSide, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Has anyone purchased one of these, and if so how do you like it?. I have purchased one, and fished numerous times with it. Have not caught anything on it, had quite a few hits to move the rod, but nothing hard enough to set the alarm off...

I will give this reel/rod combo praise though, I had a very strong hit at the spillway below the dam at Raccoon Lake. I do believe I set the hook, and what I hooked started going upstream only to get caught up in a tree. However it kept free only to not land a fish but an actual tree. This reel/rod brought the entire tree to shore with ease.

It was very humorous but disappointing, but I can live with it.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for the info whear did you get it and how much if you dont minde me asking its not a bad looking combo

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Academy and Walmart have the combo's for 39.00 and the reel only for 29.95 good luck fishing and by the way one of my fishing buddies has lander a 41# blue and also a 39# Red fish with the spincast model

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks and good luck in the contest

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks cat for the info

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report, I would like to know more about this piece of equipment

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brother hilljack,

for the money I do not think you can beat them I think that I have sold arounb 45 or 50 at the shop The rod is the old Rhino Rod I think but salesman want say

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My buddy has one and he likes it ...has landed alot of decent size fish with it -took it apart to (METAL IN THERE THAT IS GOOD) I have never used one but seem to be good ....Kevin fishes more then I do(LOL)

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    How does the "alert" do in heavy current or while drifting. Is is too sensitive and stay on continous or is it adjustable

10. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    It is adjustable, located on the left side of the reel there is a lever that has a more/less adjuster on it. I have used it quite often the last couple weeks, even on the more sensitive setting it still takes a very hard hit to set it off. So I think this combo will work great for river/current fishing....

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Yea How
    I call it my disco rod,lol!
    Rod works great,I think my battery has died on the lighjt show. Its a good one!

39.00 at wally world.

12. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When fishing at the Pike Island dam a few weeks ago I saw a guy with one of these reels. It seemed to work pretty good as far as giving the bite alert. The light was bright and the beep was loud. Pretty neat but I questioned just how well it would hold up with a decent fish. Did not see him bring any fish in with it but everyone else there did not do any good either. If I remember right...didn't Mitchell make an electronic reel like this Zebco?

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    It's not somthing I would use but I have a buddy that landed a 80lb flathead on the spinning combo........2lbs shy of the state record, they look like ok rods but would reccomend changing up the reel to somthing a bit more proven:wink:

14. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I actually just bought the combo with the closed face reel a few weeks ago. Caught a few cats on it the other night the biggest being about 4 pounds but none of them actually set off the alarm even though they hit hard enough to put a bend in the rod and I had it set on the most sensitive setting. The alarm may be more of a gimmick, but as far as the rod and reel Hey, for 40 bucks I'm pretty dang satisfied with it. Looking forward to catching some bigger fish and seeing how it performs...

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THATS WHY I LIKE THE SHAKESPEARE SPINNING TIGER COMBO ( ALPHA MODELS)........ PEOPLE BAD MOUTH THEM CAUSE THEY ARE $20.00 AND THINK THEY ARE CHEAP AND CRAPY BUT ALOT OF PEOPLE SAY THAT ABOUT CAJUN RED LINE......... HEY!!! IT WORKS FOR ME AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS:wink:

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol dude he caught a 80 flathead on that pole and reel i think it proved itself?

17. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    "Dude" that reel will be junk in 3 weeks if he consistantly catches fish that big mark my words that is no bread winner of a reel by any means

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I might argue a lill with you Steve sometimes the cheap stuff is good stuff one of my brother has a ole cheap walley special he wont give up and its been bringing in ten lbers up regularly since day one and granted no 80 but you wrestle 10-20 all the time there taking some pooh! its a bread winner we been eating well with it:wink:

19. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    the new cheap stuff sucks IMO, the old cheap stuff is da bomb LOL!!!!!

20. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    I don't use Zebco and only ABU. I have never had anything bad to say about Zebco as I think their stuff is good for the price. I have seen more than a few big cats being caught on one. However, with that said I have to say that the new hawgs suck from what I have seen. I think the idea is neat and cool. The reel looks nice, but IMO it's garbage. My freind who won't use anything but zebco got one. It broke the first night with a three pound carp. We took it right back and headed back to the lake. First thing to go was the sound. It was acting real wacky. You would barely tug on it when the sensitivity was off and it would sound off. You would give a better tug as a fish would with the sensitivity turned all the way up and it wouldn't work. It would work on minute and then not work. He caught a little fiddler channel on it and again it broke. Wouldn't work after that. I let him use one of my rods and the next day he took it back to get the spinning reel model. That one lasted longer as two fish were cought, but on the third fish we heard something break inside and it would barely reel in.

Bass Pro said they were having many people return them from breaking. So I helped to pitch in and get him his first new abu baitcaster. I hope those that do have them have much better luck than what he had with them and it lasts for you.