ZEBCO HAWG SEEKER ( SPINNING )

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bambam, Feb 16, 2008.

1. bambam

bambam New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    I RECENTLY BOUGHT THE HAWG SEEKER SPINNING REEL. IT'S A PRETTY COMBO. IT CASTS WELL AND I LIKE THE DESIGN OF THE ROD. IT HELPS WITH DISTANCE. I AM STILL LEARNING HOW TO ADJUST THE SENSITIVITY OF THE ALARM. I HAVE CAUGHT FISH WITH IT AND THE ALARM DID NOT GO OFF UNTIL I WAS REELING THEM IN. FOR A NOVICE LIKE ME I THINK IT'S A GOOD SETUP.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I was looking at them at the Bass Pro in Memphis this afternoon. Keep us posted on it. It looked like it has potiental, just did not buy right now.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Frank you are correct, the wife doesn't like the casters and fishes the spinning outfits, just picked one up this past Christmas, and messing around with it you are correct that alarm is a bit tricky to get just right, over all I think it is going to be a nice outfit, I personally like the way they designed the from casting grip on the rod, and the weight clip is a nice extra also. Good luck with your fishing, she will be trying hers out here before long, if the weather would ever cooperate :eek:oooh:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have fished with the Zebco 33,808 & 888's but never a Hawg Seeker.For those of you who have fished all,does the Hawg Seeker fish more like the 33's or the 808,888 reels?Thanks.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well PeeWee Sir., I was talking about the open face spinner, BUT, we did look at the spin cast too, and I would have to say that the HS version would be closer to the 800 series in size and performance. Having nothing more than looking at it in hand, and fishing will the 808 and 888 in past, It would be a step up in strength and design in my opinion.

6. bamawhiskers

bamawhiskers New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have a hawg seeker and its a great combo for bank or pier fishing. i have caught a couple of 40 pounders on it. i found out that if the rod is two vertical in the holder then the alarm will not go off very easily i think its because of the soft tip takin the brunt of the force. and on the other hand if its horrizontal it wont shut up. a 45 degree angle is perfect. just hafta play with the sensitivity to make it perfect. hope this helps

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats on your new rig ,catch a HAWG !!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I got 3 hawg seekers back in Jan, havent caught anything on them yet, but really havent had th time to really put them to th test. just a couple hrs here an there, no REAL cattin time spent yet. hope to change that soon tho. bambam is right tho, it does help w/distance, I can really sling it a long way out.

9. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    I just went out and bought one ( Open face spinning) from Wally world for 40 bucks. I will post up and let you guy's know how it performs. I love the handle on the reel. It has a feel that seems like it is well built.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Excellent post. I actually looked at them in the store and I question their ability to fish in rivers with a fast current. What do you think?

11. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Update : I did not hook into any fish but the rod & reel cast great. I played with the bite detector and I think I found the right spot but only a real fish will tell. As far a durability goes I wish the piece connecting the bail to the reel was metal but I guess you get what you pay for and for 40 bucks it ain't a bad deal.

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    can anyone tell me what the min/max is for sinker weight? I have been wanting to get this set up for my son. Thank's

13. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    I looked and could not find anything but the line capacity. Let me hunt down the owners manual and I will let you know.