Zebco fishing rods - Are they worth using?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DensSang, Mar 17, 2006.

1. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are zebcos worth using?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, Zebco's are great for catching bait and for catching small channels

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've got some older Zebco 33's that are great.. I've caught cats on em anywhere from 1#-22#, and Carp on em up to 26#.. I string mine with Stren 17# Line.

They were cheap when I bought em, so easy to use, and cast a country mile...

I do go through em and clean em up and grease em every season...

I've been upgrading to Baitcasters latley, but I still break out the 33's when im headed to a pond, etc... They aint made of all metal like a high end reel, but IMHO, you cant beat em for cheap and easy channel cat reel....

4. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Them Zebcos are real good reels. The 733 HAWG comes pre spooled with 20lb line. and if you get the platinum edition it has 5 bearings(spelling). The drag is very smooth but not strong as a vice. I think that a tallented fisherman or fisherwoman could catch a big channel cat easy and probably a good sized blue with a little work. I would shop for the 733 platinum if I was to be shopping for one. It only costs a few more bucks and it is worth its weight in Platinum.lol

5. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    the original 33 has been a good reel for me. i probably could find at least 30 of them around here.. for ease of operation and being kid-proof i don't think you can beat them. i have some heavy duty, high dollar stuff, but it seems at least one 33 on a rhino rod always ends up in the boat. i had an 808 ,but tried to use it for snagging spoonbill ( duh!) and tore the anti-reverse out of it.
    catwacker

6. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The newer Zebco 33s that came out about 1 or 2 years ago, I find to be even better than the old ones. They are still inexpensive ($13.96 + tax at Wal-Mart), but have at least two significant improvements. Instead of the standard line capacity of 90 yds of 10 lb. line, they now hold 130 yds of 10 lb. line. The reel handle can also be placed on either the right or left side. I know, they are not the best tool for big fish on the Missouri, Ohio, or James, etc., but they do have a place for some types of fishing that I do.

Ralph

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got a couple of Zebco fishing rods, and have no complaints with them. In fact, one of them is a medium action casting rod, and I've caught fish up to 40+ lbs on it with no problem. The other is a heavy action, and it holds up really good to catfish so far. I found it in the river, cleaned it and the 6500C reel up, and we use it regularly.

8. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I like the 33 ive used mine for years bait fishing bass fishing.My kids like them to ...real good for kids

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depending upon its application, Zebco products are generally good. When I fished the Chesapeake Bay for flounder, the Zebco 202 was my choice. Plastic reel, plastic gears...no worry from salt water. When my boys started fishing, we all outfitted out with the Zebco 33's. Lots of fish caught and lots of fishing techniques learned on these little outfits. Kids are all grown now (except possibly for me) and they have graduated up to their penns and stuff. I'm still a kid and everytime I see something new, I have a tendency to get one. The rods were matched to the reels and everyone in heaven was smiling. Zebco's are OK.

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I have two 733 hawgs we use them for family fishing trips. we have caught cats up to 20lb.on them they held up very well. I also have 17lb. stren on them.

11. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    ive caught alot of cats on the rhino rods,good for the money

12. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i caught my first fish on a 33 classic.man i think they are among some of the best reels around.

13. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :eek: I totally forgot about the 808. I been wanting one for a long time. They got one over at the wal-mart. It is a 808se and it is purty. It comes with 20 lb line prespooled and a big cranking handle. I hope to get one for Christmas next time.:)

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Many a fisherman have cut their teeth on a Zebco 33. Great reel to learn the ropes on. That being said, at some point we all move on to better gear!

15. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have been fishing with Zebco's about as long as they have been around and I think they are great.Each size having a purpose. For cats the 888,808 or my favorite the 55 are excellent reels.I use the 888 and 808 on my bow when carping.Most folks haven't heard of the 55 but it is not plastic,it looks like a giant 33,all metal. Still works great,I just spooled it with 30# big game a couple of weeks ago.I like using it when bank fishing.

16. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You can't do anything but give big ups to them, I started out using them. I respect the name Zebco

17. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I dont care for the zebcos i prefer ugly stik catfish 7' med to heavy action but you choice of what works for you

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Zebcos are great and last forever.I have a couple of 33s that were given to me by my grandfather as a kid and i still use them today.So the ones i have are actually older then i am and im 32 years young,And we have pulled in some whoopers with those reels.Heck up until late last year thats all i used untill i switched to the baitcasters which i still havent figured out yet lol.

19. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Hey I got a Rod by Zebco. It is a 5'6" heavy action. I got it from my GFs Aunt after her Husband passed on the that Catfishermans Paradise in the Ski. It dont cast far but if you want you can pull logs out of the water with it. It is tuff.

20. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If youre serious a zebco is'nt the way to go. The only Zebco ithm i'll use is the Zebco Big Cat rod.