Zebco Boss Hawg 808 Combo?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathead_ky, Jun 4, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Has anyone tried the Boss Hawg combo from Zebco. The reel has a stainless steel face and is supposed to have a better gear system and smoother drag. It came with a 7 foot rod with a glow tip for night fishing. Let me know if anyone has tried it and what do you think of it. I use Abus and Spinning Setups all the time, but this combo looks like a good one.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Trent I noticed no one had posted back, I've had great fun with the 202, caught a lot of nice channels on a 404, and now have a RSC5 on a Berkley Big Game rod 7'6". I like it cept for the direct drive feature. You ain't gonna direct drive no catfish of any size to it.....but it is great for straightening out hooks. LOL Keep us posted on the 808.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have recently given my sons the Zebco 808 and 888 I bought for them to use in fresh and saltwater when they were children.The reels were over 30 years old.They had all of the original parts and were still working well.They worked well on sharks to 4 feet when you could follow them in a boat.Both have been spooled by large saltwater fish numerous times.It amazes me that the drags have held up and still function great.I See no reason for you to be dissatisfied with a heavy duty Zebco.Just rinse ,clean and lube lightly when ever needed.I have a Zebco SW/Sport 888 with the Stainless steel face,gears and internal parts that I got about 2 1/2 years ago.I mounted it on a Berkly Reflex RFC802MH:Medium Heavy Casting:Lure 1-4 :Trilene 10-25 lb. two piece rod.It seems to be a great outfit so far and I see no reason why my 15 year old grandson cannot pass it on to his child when the time comes.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I got Colby (my son) the 606 combo and he loves it for cats and stripe and to tell the truth if he dont go DaddY thakes it!!!!

5. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll pick one up and add it to my collection.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    there only like 20 bucks or sumthin arnt they? hell pick up 4 and add it to your collection. i have like 6 of those big spincasting combos by shakespear, the tiger spincasting ones, everytime i go fishin with a buddy or 2 of mine they have at least 2 poles to use. i use my favs tho:big_smile:

7. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For $20 it's a good deal. I looked at one and noticted some differences between the 808 Magnum reel (sold alone) and the Boss Hawg 808 (sold as combo only). The Mag. has two ceramic pick-up pins, the Boss has one steel pin; the Mag has one ball bearing drive , the Boss has all bushings; the Mag has a brass pinion gear and the Boss has a cast gear. Nothing major just Zebco's way of cutting the cost to make a more affordable combo. A 808 Magnum reel alone is $30 so I wondered how they could sell this 808 combo for less than a 808 reel ; the above differences is how. Most of the zebco "combos" reels have these changes to make the combo more afforable. Still a great combo, the rods worth the $20, and the reel sould give years of trouble free use. I find the Zebco ProStaff 888 to be the BEST of the BEST of Large spincast reels, 3 ball bearings and selectable instant anti-reverse for solid hook sets, a very well made reel.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think they are a good reel for channel cats.

9. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brother just bought a 808 combo three days ago he loves his but only part is that seems to over done for me but for only 24.99 here it gets his job done. I myself will stick to my baby (733 with ugly stick 7 footer or something like that).:big_smile:

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well here's my take on the boss hawg 808 combo. Junk, Junk, Junk.
    I had one for a little over a year and the reel was junk in a few months.
    The gears are like a cast pot metal and are not smooth operating at all.
    The rim of the pickup reel is soft metal that braided line wears a groove in, which makes it impossible to cast.
    After I replaced the reel with a rhino all was good until, I got a snag the other night while fishing from shore. One good yank to try and remove the snag and the rod snapped right behind the reel at the handle. The handle is hollow and very thin glass tube down the middle.
    All I can say is thank god it was only a snag as I would have lost the fish and my new reel.
    I personally will take a closer look at the combo bargains before I buy again.

11. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I use strictly open face or bait casting reels. My daughter, however uses spin casting outfits. We fish the Mississippi River where they get loaded pretty frequently. She had 2 lower number Zebco's that looked and felt pretty good, but they only lasted 2 weekends each before the gears stripped. We then replaced it with the 808 and it has held up well so far. She used it a few times and I've used it as a loaner outfit for others coming along without their own pole, and it hasn't messed up or stripped gears. As a kid I used Zebco's all the time and I was wondering if they had gone down the tubes. We're ok with this one but I wouldn't go with anything smaller for cats. Good luck.

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    My wifes 808 brought in her 5 pound flathead tonight, her first flaty ever. She was jacked up! Man I was grinning ear to ear.:big_smile::big_smile:

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I bought one about a year and a half ago. Right away I had problems with it casting....I respooled with different line it seemed to cast fine. But, then the plastic piece that screws up to hold the reel tight cracked and eventually broke. I was gonna take the reel and put it on another rod, but after reading this I may just put it in the trash. :sad2:

14. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Bought my wife a 808 and she hasnt had any problems with it and she loves the way it casts. She pulled in a nice flathead with it the other night and it was smooth as silk. Handled the cat well, Im satisfied and so is she. I dont think you can go wrong with the reel for the price.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I started fishing with the old Black Zebco 202 when I was a little guy. These reels were great starter reels for kids. But now days Zebco has seen fit to go the wrong way with the internal parts of their reels. Sure they are appealing to the eye but, what you see on the outside doesn't mean anything about what's on the inside.
    In my oppinion, Zebco hasn't produced a decent quality reel in 35yrs. Their goal is to target the weekend warrior, for the quick sell. This in turn will either break their fishing spirit and make them not want to fish as often, or make them realize they need better gear and continue on like most of us on here have.

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Snag removal with a Rhino reel and a Zebco fishing rod?No wonder that rod broke! I once broke my favorite rod trying to reel in 13 and a half foot of foul hooked Gator.Didn;t have much choice.I was down to my last plug that the fish were biting,it was hung in the Gators back and he wanted to keep it.We were in the middle of the Okefenokee swamp and their just was no way to get another.After I broke my rod that Gator would snap and thrash ever time I tried to get my plug out of him.I think he was trying to catch me.He did hook me twice,but it wasn;t deep and pulled out.Man,that would have been a ride.He would get mad and go to the bottom and sulk.I would keep poking him with my push pole until he would get madder and come up again.He finely went down and sulked in about 3 feet of water where I could reach down and work my hooks out of his back.Desperate times call for desperate acts.I had another rod.I didn;t have another plug.That was the last time my brother in law ever fished with me.He sure wasn;t no help getting the plug back.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zebco reels will never out preform a quality baitcaster, and they were never designed to.That's why the price is less, $15-$30 compared to say $75-$150 for a bait caster. I agree many of Zebco reels ,past and present , are of low quality designed for little use, 202,404,606. However, they do make some nice reels for the money like the Platinum 33 ( smoother and slicker than any older 33 I've used) , all metal body, brass pinion gear, 4 ball bearings, multi disk drag,two ceramic pick up pins, and instant anti-reverse; a very slick reel for $25. And on the topic of catfish reels the Prostaff 888 , (better and stronger than the any past 888's), has 3 ball bearings, brass pinion gear, selectable instant anti-reverse with clicker, steel reel foot, two ceramic pick-up pins and steel spool shaft; not bad for $30. Let's face it, you get what you pay for. When you opt for the lower end of the reel line to save a few bucks, yes you're going get cast gears , bushings etc. But the two reels mentioned above when respooled with fresh line are excellent preforming reels for the money. Are they as good as a Abu bait caster ? No. Are they cheap kids junk ? No, once you realize they are reels and not power winches and set the drag correctly, and landed the fish with the rod , not cranking it in with the reel, then they will bring you years of fishing enjoyment. Also in my experence a combo rod and reel will be cheaper but usally be of lower quality . Good luck :big_smile:

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You should be a spokesperson for Zebco!!! You AlllllllMost had me sold on them, LOL!!!:look_down:

19. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well my favorite setup is my Abu Garcia with a 7' Ugly Stick Catfish Rod. I have several other open face setups. I did pick up the combo and respooled it with 25 # Berkley Big Game mono. After getting it rigged up and adjusting the drag to my preference. It casts very good and the biggest test it had sp far was on the first trip --> 16 lb Flathead Cat. I like the reel, but my fav is my abu. I also have some of the cheaper Shakespeare combos, because some of my friends and my little bother and sister can use them when they go catfishing.Thanks guys!

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think Zebco may have made one decent reel lately.I got a Zebco SW 888 several years ago.All of it's metal is either Stainless Steel or Brass.It even has the old type "Mans" bearings made of solid Brass.You know,the ones that you find in all of the fine old reels that have lasted so long and are still fishing today.It also has the old Zebco heavy duty internal drag which expands inside the spool.Now the all Stainless steel gearing will never be as smooth as some of the reels with a brass pinion gear to wear into.I do not know how the plastic rear cover will last.Only time will tell.It must have been too good of a reel for their product line.They seem to have quit makeing it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.