Zebco 888

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catnhat, Jul 1, 2007.

1. catnhat

catnhat New Member

State:
    holliday texas
    hey guys i have been a member for awhile but dont post much so hey:big_smile: to all while im here . this is the coolest site !!!!!!!!! heres the deal i have a cabela king kat 8ft rod with a zebco 888 with 30lb braided spider wire.when i try too cast it catchs inside tug tug tug tug this is stoping me from geting any distance .anybody know how to fix this ???? i woud have a big! thank you for any help.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Braid on. I have been told those types of reels wasn't built for Braid.They can use the strong momo's but also whatever they're rated for in test pound you're not suppose to go over that.I was told this by a guy that services them,so I presume he would know what he's talking about! Lots of luck and welcome aboard!!:big_smile:

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I personally would not recommend braid on a spincaster , the 888 comes with #25 mono any way . Unless you dont wish to use the reel for long i would recommend sticking with mono . But to answer your ? it sounds like the line is lose on the spool .

4. catnhat

catnhat New Member

State:
    holliday texas
    thanks for the info. the reel was a give me so i didnt know what line it came with . ill swap the line out and see what happens.i am trying to make the leap to baitcasters any way.so might be a good time:big_smile: thanhs again for your help

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First,Line slippage is usually noticed on retrieve.Any and all reels that I know of need a backing of a correct type line or tape to keep braid from slipping on the spool,unless they have a little mushroom shaped piece of metal sticking out of the spool.This simple little invention lets you tie your line directly to it and your line can not slip on the spool.I have found 3M brand black electrical tape to work fine to keep 17 lb.Spider Wire and Offshore Angler Magibraid 30 lb.braid (both under .008 thousands in dia.)from slipping and the heaver weights also that I do not remember the diameters.I put two very tight wraps around the spools an cut it off.I use this and it has worked fine on all spools of all types of reels of mine,my family's,friends and others that I have done and help do.The tape also works great for many other things while fishing or around the house.Second,casting resistance.The very small diameter line may be embedding in the line already on your spool when you reel.It may be catching on a worn or improperly protruding pickup pin.The braid may have already worn the head where it comes around it.Zebco makes a Bow fishing reel prespooled with 80 lb.braided line.I e-mailed Zebco about the use of braided line on their reels a year or two ago.They said you could use it but it would cause premature and excessive wear on the head and pickup pins.I also think that it would cause excess wear where the line exits the front housing or cone as I call it.Wear does not hurt you as bad if it is smooth.Sharp or il regularities do.I have only put the .008 thousand of a inch and under braid on Zebco 33's.30 years ago,I tried putting lighter lines on Zebco 808's and 888's.They did not handle it very well and I removed it.I have not tried anything but 14 and 20 lb.mono since.The 20 is what they have mostly been factory spooled with in all of my memory.A cheap,hard ,stiff and therefore tough 14 lb.mono has worked well for me on mine for saltwater where abrasion has been a problem.It measures .018 (close to 20 lb.) and is hard and stiff,but TOUGH.Shell does not cut it very easily.I would spool it for use around pilings with barnacles and it did not cost me much to discard and replace nicked line.It also works on most of my other reels.Check your line for signs of fraying.This is a sign that you may have rough edges or worn groves somewhere.Also! Very important!Check out your rod guides carefully.Many have fought the reel when it was the rod guides with braid.(Guilty)Run a cotton swab along everything that your line runs across on your rod and in your reel.If the cotton snags,you have found a problem that needs correcting.This is a regular part of preventive maintenance with me.A bent shaft can cock your spool and cause this,but this is more likely on a regular spinning reel and very rare on a close faced.Please let us know how you come out.This sharing is how we all learn.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

6. jak61

jak61 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a couple 888's that I have used for years for channel catfishing. I use 20 lb. Trilene Big Game mono line and it works great. Have caught some nice cats with them to so very good reels. Stick with monofilament line for these reels. :big_smile: