Zebco 888?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishinpals, Jul 11, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Is the Zebco 888 any good? Seen them at Bass Pro in St Charles, MO. Know of any problems with them?

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a 888 & 808 that are 25+ years old and have been heavily used in both fresh and salt water.I have a 2 year old SW sport 888 that I have yet to use.Upon disassembly,it looks very much like the old model.They have been the most durable spin cast that I have ever used.I always set my drag properly.Both of the old reels have been "spooled" many times over the years by large fish such as Sharks,while saltwater fishing.You never know what will steal your fish before you can reel it in.No damage.Just re spool and go back to fishing.To me,this is one of the true test of a reel.These reels have passed it many times.Now if you wish to set your drag tight enough,you will have the reel destroyed by such a situation.peewee-williams

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jim WE are so Lucky to have Peewee around We can take his advice to the bank. He sure is SMART!!!. J.D.Straka

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have a Prostaff 888 , so far so good . I think you would be fine with it.
    Good Luck
    Brian

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Have to agree with that! Bet he's had lots of experience.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I have actually caught alot of large fish (+25lbs) on Zebco 33's and 888's.
    I would think a 888 would be fine if you were looking for something other than a baitcaster. I wouldnt recommend a 33 for your main big cat rig though hehe :big_smile: While I've caught big fish on it, it wouldnt hold up over time like a 888 or baitcaster.

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    all the zebcos I have ever had have worked fine I dont see why the 888 or 808 wouldnt.

8. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I recently got one of the new Zebco 808 Magnums, a very well bulit, soild reel for heavy fishing.