ZEBCO 808 ?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by daddio, Jul 8, 2008.

1. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I bought a zebco 808 last year and it just sits in the basement, Every time i cast it about 20 feet out it snags and throws my bait off i have changed the line twice to no avail I had it apart looking for nicks on the spool and housing, none that I can see I lost the reciept so taking it back is out of the question any ideas on a fix ? thanks

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You can balance and blueprint a Zebco from now 'till the cows come home, and when you're all done, you'll still have a Zebco. Ya just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Get a Garcia Ambassadeur. You'll never regret it.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have an 808 that I got for the Ms., she can't throw a baitcaster. As long as it has a fairly heavy weight on it it does pretty good. First time I respooled it, I had the line rolling off the spool wrong. Re-did it where it didn't twist and have had no problems since.

4. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have 6 808 reels with 17# line on and I can cast just a hook and chicken liver 20yds. And have had no problems with them. Try a dacron line they cast real well in them. What kind of line are you using? To stiff and it will not cast without a lot of wieght

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never used on of these reels, but I have always been curious. Thanks for the useful info

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I bought one for my wife also and have had no problems ,she caught a 48 pound flathead with it. I have found with all zebco or push button reels that if you respool with to big of a line diamiter it will do as you say. So if you changed sizes I would go back to the old size and try that. I think my wifes came pre spooled with 20lb test.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Check the hight of your pickup pin.

Also,watch the position of your hands in your casting technique.If you are making contact with your release button,you could be pushing it far enough forward to pinch your line too much.This is designed to control your cast by pushing forward like your thumb does on a casting reel spool.It is easy to get too much pressure until you learn the individual reel with each new one.

As for lasting.I just gave my sons my old 25 and my 30 year old 808 & 888's used heavily in fresh and salt water for all of those years.Both were still in great working shape ready to fish.Now I have no idea how long my newest SW 888 will last.

Let us know if anything works.I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA

but try 20# Ande mono. It has a small diameter for the test and is a real good line. Maybe go down another test size and make sure the line spools on in the proper direction. See if that helps.:wink:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    long time ago when I used spincasters in seemd whenever I changed line on the never worked right agin..that included 808, 404 and 33's

I used to catch 20-lb flatheads on 33's with 12-lb test...I am mglad I dont have to use them now.

10. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Daddio did you get it working? Change the line that way you know how much line you have. Sometimes you just run out of line. You can not cast 100' with only 25' of line.

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    In stead of throwing a lil b#tch fit about there reel's ....wHY DON'T you try the 1 800 # and conplain to them????? you just might get i better reel or your money back!!!!

12. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I bought one for my wife and it is holding up just fine, a few years ago I bought her an 888 and a 14lb blue tore up the gears in it. I guess it just depends on if you bought one that went down the assembly line on a good day :smile2: Use these fellas advice and change the line. see if that helps, they came prespooled with a 20lb line.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This sounds like what you have going on. I was going to post it, but someone beat me to it. When spooling a baitcaster you take the line off of the top of the spool. when spooling a spinning reel, or a zebco, it has to come off of the side. just lay the spool on its side on the ground and let the line fall off of it. to make sure you're going the right direction, crank in several feet and give the line some slack. if it curls up, you're going the wrong way, flip the spool over.

14. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas
    First of all the Chinese 808's are junk. They dont work right even when they are new. The older USA made ones are bulletproof. We even use em for Bow Fishin. I have Shimano's and expensive Spinning Outfits but for Catfishin and especially fishing at night for cats or speckled trout at the coast nothing beats an 808. Less tangles, no backlashes in the dark.

Good soft line 15 to 20 lb and rinse it if used in saltwater, release the drag tension if not going to be used for a spell as the drag can take a set. Keep those strong metal gears greased.......

I own about 25 of them so I will always have a good one......:wink:

15. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kind of an old Post but I thought I would share.
    We have been 888 and 808 users for a long long time and most of what has been said I agree with.
    Older ones are bullet proof, new ones can be suspect.

I would be willing to bet a Big Mac your trouble is comming from the line pickups , Small white pins that pop out of the spool top to catch the line for retrieval.
    Remove the top half of the case and inspect the workings. They cam in and out depending on the position of the push button.
    Their action is pretty basic and it won't take a lot to interfer with their action.
    You might have to un screw the pickup plate to see the underside of the assmy.
    Once you see how it works it may be obvious what is causing you the grief.
    The cap must be squeekie clean and the pivots absolutely free or you will get exactly the prob you described.

Oh yeah...
    The new reels have a lighter weight metal in the cap and it has a tendency to get out of round.. bent, or dented ... Its a death blow for the reel.

R Green