Zebco 808

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cheryl, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I searched and searched for something for my son's 30th birthday gift and ended up buying one of these, among a few other things. Anyone have any input on this? It is a 7 ft. 2 pc. rod with half of it being night visible. He recently enjoyed a day fishing with his girlfriend and me, so to encourage something he never has cared for, I got him this setup. It came with 20 lb line. It was the only one at Wally world. Now his girlfriend wants one like it. LMAO.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheryl

2. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello, I have had the Zebco 808 and would recommend it to anyone who is after catfish. Compared to the more costly units I feel that the 808 is built with quality in mind and for the price you can not go wrong. My set up was prespooled with 25lb. line. and you are able to increase the test. I am sure it will perform as desired.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Cheryl, a 808 is a nice reel for catfishing. It will handle most any catfish. Just make sure the drag is set. I have 2 myself, along with about 15-20 more rod and reel setups. They are very easy to cast and easy to deal with, also. You seem to have it set up well, too. That is a great birthday gift. Thanks for sharing!!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you can't go wrong with the 808. I have used them in the past and know a guy that swears by them.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for the responses! He seemed to like it, now if he will make the time to utilize it and learn the enjoyment of relaxing and fishing, I will really have accomplished something.

Take care.
    Cheryl

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Nice setup...both of em. Getting him a rod and reel and getting him one to get him into fishing. Once he gets a nice one (fish) hooked he will be too. LOL.

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I use a 808 and find no problems with it. Where I live it will handle any fish that swims in the water I fish. I have all those baitcasters and strong rods but find myself using my 808 on a 8' ugly stick.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have 808's and 888's which are similar internally.Two are 25+ years old and working fine.I think you done good.peewee-williams

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love Zebco closed face reels.I presently have a Hawg 733.I was started out on a Zebco 202 I think there wonderful reps for askin pk powell:smile2:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cheryl I tried to rep ya it wouldn't let me. Sorry! pk:crazy:

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Can't go wrong with a zebco

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I love my pro staff 888 , will probably buy more .

13. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I tell you what I specifically have no complaints about the Zebco 808, I have 1 and have not had a problem handling any fish on it and it is reliable and cost effective good set up for the inexperienced or experienced.

14. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I have seen the 808s and love them. I have a 733 and love it. I would fight Mike Tyson for a 888. You did real good.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have a 888 for at least 20 years or longer its like a timex takes alicken and keeps on tickin:cool2:

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its never too late to get them started, the 808 was one of the first reels I bought myself and I still have it and it still works.

17. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As a kid fishing in Minnesota I caught all kinds of Northerns on the 808...30 years later I thought seriously about getting one for cat fishing due to their ease of use and reliability

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for all the words of encouragement from y'all. He used to go fishing with me as a kid, but never really had the love of it. Perhaps it was because of many things, but hopefully he will learn to love it as he continues to age. His girlfriend will probably be the most persuasive person at this point in his life. She just lights up when fishing. Course she loves to swim too and does so whenever she gets a chance. I just don't like her swimming while I'm trying to fish........unless she is gonna put one on my hook, while she is down there.

Old lady, over and out. Cheryl

19. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have that exact same combo.it's pretty decent

20. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i hate to be the one to rain on a good post but i bought one and went out fishing with tea and bgrumbles and got a snag and the dang thing just broke to peices. the gears jamed up and just could not get it wind up. had to cut the line. bgrumbles said thet one of his freinds had the same one and the same thing happened. sorry but would never buy another one. but i do aagree that i like zebco but just not there 808's.