Zebco 808

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by moondog58, Aug 29, 2009.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Does anyone else here ever use a Zebco 808?

I have two, one my dad had and used before he got so he can't fish, and one I have used the last couple of years.

I really like my 808, it is a great reel.

What do you guys think, does anyone else use a close face spinning reel catfishing? Or do all you guys use bait casting reels?

2. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I have an 808 magnum and don't have any complaints. Most people think Zebco's are just for beginners, but my 808 is for real. Much better built than a lot of the junk that zebco does sell. It has a heavy duty all metal drive train with dual ceramic pins that wind the line back up. It came pre spooled with 25lb test too. It's a big nice reel IMO. I did take off the factory line and replaced it with Berkley Big Game 25lb. I also have 2 Abu Garcia 6600cb's as well and they too are nice reels. But the 808 won't have a problem bringing a big flattie in, I'd bet on it.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Mark welcome to the BOC, i fish with closed face - bait caster's and spinning reel's.. me myself I love using anything that has shimano on it but i won't limit myself to one major brand. If your happy with your 808 that is all that matter's. Fish On

4. festus

festus New Member

I have one and have had no complaints yet. These newer ones aren't as good as the ones that were produced in the 1960's. But stay away from the Zebco 404. I've never seen a good one yet. It's just an oversize 202.

5. 2ROKHD

2ROKHD New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    I have an 808 and I hate it. The thing hangs up when I cast. My uncle had bought one and says his is junk too. I don't know, good luck with yours I guess.

6. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Zebco's are also like comparing import motorcycles to Harley's. The Harley guys all think their bikes are better cause of the name, but their parts still come from China, Italy and Japan:smile2: So yeah Abu Garcia is considered the Harley of fishing reels, but other reels are just as good, especially when they've been around a long time.:smile2::smile2:

7. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K

The factory line that comes spooled on 'em is junk IMO. Try changing your line and see if that helps.

8. festus

festus New Member

I bought my 808 for my girlfriend because she doesn't have the confidence to use baitcasters or regular spinning reels. I have an Ambassadeur baitcaster and an 8' surfcaster spinning outfit I use for heavy duty fishing. But I'll occasionally use the 808. I don't know if it would hold to a 25 to 30 pound striper run, but I have confidence it would bring in a big catfish. Yes, I took off the original line that was spooled on it and replaced it with Stren.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Brother welcome to the B.O.C. If you are happy with your reel that is all that really matters . I dont use them anymore , but did once up on a time and with the right line and weight them babies are some casting machines . I have a 808 out in the garage that I let people use who come to visit and want to fish . I had a zebco 888 prostaff one time with 40 pound fireline in it that was a bad mammajamma ...

10. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've had the same experience with mine. I would never buy another one.

11. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL

Me 3!!!!!

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one but it is only there for when I take people who don't fish out fishing. I have never even reeled the thing in myself.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If your on a budget then a 808 will have to do, but with that being said, I would only use one if that was all I had...I had one several years ago, and to be be honest I thought it was not a very good reel.

But I think the same thing of all zebco spincast reels.

14. My Father owns a 808 Hawg close face reel and it's still producing.
    My 733 Titanium is castin out farther with a 2oz.'er sinker better than my 2 6500's 4oz.'er?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009