Zebco 808 Saltwater Series...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by One Legged Josh, Mar 9, 2009.

1. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have plenty of flathead gear, but I fish channels most of the time.
    I have always enjoyed fishing with closed face rods for channels. Until now I have had Shakespeare Synergy reels 4000 series with 20 pound big game. My largest catfish was an accidental 56 pound flat on this reel.
    The old reels are starting to show their age, so I hit up e-bay and bought two Zebco 808 Saltwater series reels. They are stainless steel and saltwater tough made for 25 pound mono and come equipped with a power handle. They will be matched to two ugly stik 7 footers.
    Anyone have any experience with these reels? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I cut my teeth as a child on a Zebco 202,then 404,then a 33. Now one of my reels is a Zebco 733 Hawg. I believe Zebco makes excellent reels. Like U I have always enjoyed the closeface reels. My Grandfather instilled in me a love for fishing and he and my uncle always used Zebco close faced reels. That 808 will do ya right.:smile2:

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i've had experience with zebco 808's and think they are quality reels for the price, but would rather use a baitcaster for bigger fish. every spincaster i've had has eventually let me down on the casting(by getting tangled inside)/retrieval(by reeling and the device not catching the line). especially zebco's. they were good for some time though - which was maybe a season and half.

4. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree (and use baitcasters for bigger fish). Mostly though I have opportunity to chase channels.
    These all steel versions are rebuildable with parts kits available (from what I hear).

5. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i have a couple salt water 808 and 888 the are a lot tougher than you would think i use them for carp and big carp fight hard. never any problems...

6. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I have two Zebco 808's that I bought for my wife last year and so far no problems with them.:wink:

7. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The 808 cost me a cat of a lifetime. I fought for an hour and a half last summer and it just ended up destroying the 808 before proceeding to getting loose.