Zebco 808 Saltwater/Prostaff 888 ?'s

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Shootandfish1, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Catfish Connection has the Zebco 808 Saltwater for $25.75 and the Zebco Prostaff 888 for $22.85. The 888 has 3 bearings, the 808 saltwater has 1 bearing. Even though the 888 has 2 more bearings, I am assuming that the 808 saltwater is the better reel, more durable, handle rough use and abuse, stronger than the 888, ect.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Any problems with catfish connection.

Thanks-Fred

2. wesmcbride28

wesmcbride28 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have bought 3 reels from them one was a ZEBCO PROSTAFF 888 and a okuma avenger . I had an 888 before held up pretty well for me, was very good caster with 1 or 2oz sinker.

3. jak61

jak61 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a Prostaff 888 that I have had for several years. Also a Zebco Saltwater 888. Both are very good reels for channel catfishing. I have caught a couple fish in the 15 lb. range and they worked great. Either would be a good choice.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My Zebco 808 & 888 reels were as good as my Penns for Fresh and Saltwater fishing.Well used.My sons now own both.One is at least 36 years old,the other about 34 from recent figuring and old photos of folk.Both still work great.Both are "ALL original".

I now have a aprox 5 year old Saltwater with the Star Drag and bushing.Last of the bushing.I favor bushings for durability.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the feedback. I plan on getting 2 of the 808 saltwaters and see how they differ from the 888. I got 2 more catfish 7' ugly stik rods to use with these reels from walmart last night.

I going to order some 20# Berkley Big Cat line hoping this line will give more casting distance. I have 20# Bass Pro saltwater tightline? on my 888. The BP line as reported is good stuff, but I felt that the line had a lot of memory and could not get long casts with it. I had read that braid will cut the guides on the ugly stiks, don't have a clue if braid will work on the big spincast reel.

For nightcrawer and chicken liverstyle of fishing, going after eating size channels, the big zebcos seem to be a very practical choice. I doubt if a reel will see 10-12 casts per outing, The real world abuse comes from getting the rods out of the house and riding in the back of the pickup and into the boat or on the bank. Then I'm sure you have had a pole in your hands, getting a slow bite, and then get a strong pull on another rod. The rod being held gets tossed while you make a mad dash. This how my rods and reels get "wore out".

And the price is not bad. I will have $56 in each outfit-$30 rod and $26 reel. I could have saved on the rod but the ugly stik seems to be will worth the extra $$. Could have bought one of various combo's, but I wanted some muscle.

And lastly, The non-fisherman of our little circle, the ladies and kids can use these with just a few minutes of instruction.

Thanks again-Fred

6. Gary C

Gary C New Member

State:
    ky
    The 808 was all my dad ever used, saw him catch a 48 lb Flat head with one 20 lb test line, I prefer bait casters but i wouldn't hesitate about buying a 808 or an 888 if that was what i wanted..

7. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    I use a Zebco 808 on a Shakespere Tiger pole. No complaints here.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Less "bearings" "mean more bushing type bearings" in places of support.The so called "bearings" are not as tough as bushings but the ball bearings are smoother.The "Bushing" and "Bearing" crap is Madison Avenue Advertiser junk put out by people who did not know that bushings and balls are both bearings.People who know little about bearings picked it up.Any one talking about the number of "bearings' a reel has is telling the world they know nothing about bearings as both are bearings.Look it up.The thousands of old reels out there that survived for so many years have Bushings for Bearings.They are tough and they last.

Many of your heavy Saltwater Reels have less "bearings" because they are built tougher with bushings for bearings.

I have a old original Japanese built Daiwa Millionaire 4H with all Bushings for bearings.It has the 6 pin cast control brake to slow the spool down as spool speed was all ready too fast for casting without bird nesting.

I spent a life time working with bearings.I went to school repeatedly with bearing manufactures to keep updated.My wifes family worked at Hover Ball and made bearings.The word "bearing"is a advertising and salesman joke that has caught on because people believe misrepresentation in advertising.

Look up the number of "Bearings" advertised in your heavy reels!

I have good reels with "ball bearings".They would be tougher and more durable with bushing bearings.

Now when comparing reels side by side with the same number of advertised and type of bearings,I bought the smoother.Bushings and Stainless Steel gears will always be stronger but rougher feeling than Brass or bronze gears and Ball bearings.

Catfish Connection refunded my money even when they disagreed with me.They stood behind everything I was ever displeased with.I would use them again anytime and recommend them to anyone.I know that they cannot be perfect,but I have never heard of a complaint yet.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

9. Giant SC Cat

Giant SC Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My father in law swears by the 808 ! he has pulled in a couple 30 pounders on them with 20 pound red devil line and Shakspear tiger lite rod he loves his closed face reels!!

10. Giant SC Cat

Giant SC Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If the line ant singing the dinner bell ant ringing!!