Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering what everybody thought about zebco 808 reels.i know everybody seems to use abu's but i cant cast them and i like casting rods better then spinning rods.has anybody used these reels and wish they hadnt?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Just get ya a caster, and a spool of cheap mono, 3-4 hours in the back yard and you'll be good enough to re spool and hit the lake :wink: Don't let the reel intimidate ya, YOU CAN DO IT! heck once you spend a day with one you will wander why you haven't done it alot sooner......... :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to agree, dont let it intimidate you, I was the same way with my first baitcaster, but with an afternoon of practice I had it down good enough to go fishing with and over the years you just get better and better. I also had the same thought with a bow, but after some practice you get good at it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bought an 808 Hawg Hunter combo for grandson on his birthday. It appears to be a reasonbly well made reel for price. I think its made for medium duty fishing . Not necessarily what i would buy if I wanted years of trouble free service.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
The 808 is what I bought my wife to use and she has caught a bunch of nice fish on hers!

·
Super Moderator
24,924 Posts
Bro., when I first started striper fishing I used two Zepco 808, back when they were made of metal. I later added two more which had the plastic covers and they did not hold up very well. I hooked a large striper and the plastic cover exploded and the other one developed a crack. Zepco replaced both of them with the metal covers. I caught more cats and stripers on them than I can count. But, I now use Abu Garcia.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
They are good reels. My grandfather and dad both love them. I started using them but graduated to baitcasters. 808's are nice, easy to use reels but I would recommend eventually moving up to Abu's or Penn's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.