zebco 808 reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catman37, Apr 12, 2008.

1. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    was wondering what everybody thought about zebco 808 reels.i know everybody seems to use abu's but i cant cast them and i like casting rods better then spinning rods.has anybody used these reels and wish they hadnt?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just get ya a caster, and a spool of cheap mono, 3-4 hours in the back yard and you'll be good enough to re spool and hit the lake :wink: Don't let the reel intimidate ya, YOU CAN DO IT! heck once you spend a day with one you will wander why you haven't done it alot sooner......... :wink:

3. carpetman

carpetman New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have to agree, dont let it intimidate you, I was the same way with my first baitcaster, but with an afternoon of practice I had it down good enough to go fishing with and over the years you just get better and better. I also had the same thought with a bow, but after some practice you get good at it.

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Bought an 808 Hawg Hunter combo for grandson on his birthday. It appears to be a reasonbly well made reel for price. I think its made for medium duty fishing . Not necessarily what i would buy if I wanted years of trouble free service.

5. carpetman

carpetman New Member

State:
    illinois
    I forgot to add my original thought, my buddy has an 808 and it has been a very nice setup for him

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    The 808 is what I bought my wife to use and she has caught a bunch of nice fish on hers!

7. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Zebco 808's are what my dad use he doesn't like bait casters and I know for a fact he has caught several in the 30's on his 808's and there still going.

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., when I first started striper fishing I used two Zepco 808, back when they were made of metal. I later added two more which had the plastic covers and they did not hold up very well. I hooked a large striper and the plastic cover exploded and the other one developed a crack. Zepco replaced both of them with the metal covers. I caught more cats and stripers on them than I can count. But, I now use Abu Garcia.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    They are good reels. My grandfather and dad both love them. I started using them but graduated to baitcasters. 808's are nice, easy to use reels but I would recommend eventually moving up to Abu's or Penn's.

11. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I need to get a few reels for Santee catfishing does anyone use the Pflueger Trion 66. Also I would like info on other choices. Appreciate the info.