Zebco 733 Hawg, tough enough ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, May 31, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got one on the "new" Zebco 733 Hawg reels.I spooled it with 20# Big Game line. On a 6'6" med-hvy Ugly Stik. Is the reel tough enough for 20-30 lbs. cats ? Is it as strong or stronger than 808 or 888 ? Weaker ? I've only caught a few 3-5 lbs cats so far. -thanks

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have used them & they are not impressive. They strip out easily. The only redeeming factor is that I bought mine and Wal-Mart & they have replaced it 2 or 3 times. :smile2:

Eric

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    they are decent for the money but i would not trust them for any thing over 15 pounds(not tryin to put ya down)i have a 733 hawg and a 808 and the 808 is one heck of a reel and the 733 just will not hold up like a 808.on my 733 fish can strip drag out easily and the clicker is almost useless.hope this helps

4. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I compared the 808 Magnum and 733 Hawg today. Other than the 808 being bigger due to the bigger spool and having a plasic houseing, they looked to be the same set up. Both had dual pick up pins, same drag set up and same anti-reverse. So other than bigger gears and more line why is the 808 so much better than the 733 ? Most of the fish I catch will most likely be under 20 lbs.(8-12 lbs the average), wouldn't the 808 be to much reel ? I caught mant on an old 33 and it held up fine , just played them out right. -Thanks

5. shawn00

shawn00 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Get the Zebco 733 platinum. It's the same size and body as the 733 Hawg. But the platinum is all metal construction with five ball bearings.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    It will work fine for the 10-15# cats,but all bets are off if you tangle into a real brusier.

I got lucky and landed a 36# flathead from the bank with a little zebco 33.It worked fine because it was on a good rod and the drag worked perfect,but I was puckered up the whole time:embarassed: :big_smile:

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i use a 733 for the same size range your after, it will work fine for fish of this size, but if you hook into a bigger fish you might be in trouble unless you know how to fight a large fish with smaller tackle, ive fished since i was 4 or 5 so it dosnt bother me that much, if your not used to fighting fish on way smaller tackle than the fish is you may just want to get an 808 as its the better option, and the 808 is going to be a little large for this range of fish but if you hook up with a brute youll still be able to bring him in.

8. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I recentlly purchased two of the 733 Hawg's. I am pretty dissapointed with one of them. My son and I have caught a couple of 20 lber's on them but the one I use the most had problems last week when we went out. I don't know exactly what is wrong something in the gears I believe. I am going to chunk it and get something else. I have seen that people really like the Tidewater reels, although I hate baitcasters I may end up trying one anyway. Good luck on your decision.
    Tony

9. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Okay, the 808 seems to get a good rep from "the pros". Now the question ; will my rod be a good match for the 808 with 20# line ? It's a 6'6" med-hvy Ugly Stick, the one with the long butt and padded grip forward of the reel seat. -Thanks

10. snagger93

snagger93 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    borrowed my buddy's last weekend I don't know about catfish but I caught a 32lb pound drum on it

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have both a 808 and a 888 that are better than 25 years old.They have been heavily used in both fresh and salt water.Both have been spooled quite a few times in saltwater when large fish such as sharks steal your catch as you are reeling it in.Both still seem to work as good as the day I bought them.Never owned a 733 Hawg.peewee-williams

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    It will be fine for whatever you tie into.

13. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I have one. It can handle some decent size catfish maybe 10-15 lbs. I'm sure you might land one bigger than that on it, but it might just strip all the line out and you won't have the power or good enough drag to do anything about it.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont the think the Zebco 733 would hold up to heavy catfishing. maybe 1 to 10 lbs, but not anything bigger.