Zebco 606

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishinpals, Jul 21, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Seen a Zebco 606 reel at Farm King yesterday. It was spooled with 20 pound test line and 12 bucks. Any one have any experience using them?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never used one but be careful buying stuff at Farm King a lot of what they buy is old an they bought it off price. I hate buying outdoors stuff there because it is always out of date.

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    thanks for the info

4. turbinemanic

turbinemanic New Member

State:
    Arma Kansas
    Bought one for my son . Not he best for your big one's but it works good for the 5 to 15 lber's he catch's. Oh he's 10 years old and loves to fish with Dad:smile2:

5. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I had one on my walmart bought pole I use for pond fishing. Took it to the river and hooked a big head carp (biggest one I ever had on the line, probably close to 40-45lbs) and the gears on the reel started to strip. I had my drag set to the loosest I could put it so my line didnt snap. I would reel once and this fish would take me out about 3 reels. So I think it would be good for smaller fish, but watch out for the big ones they will tear that reel up.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I don't know about the newer model but I've got a 606 that's old...made in the all metal case (black) that works like a top. I would not put it on anything over 10-15lbs. if I had a choice. I'm pretty sure mine came with 12-15lb. line. Nice little rig, not in the 808 ball park. JMO
    Don

7. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have a 606 spooled with 20 lb. test. I haven't hooked anything too big for it to handle, but I mostly just catch 1-5 pounders.

8. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The old 606/600's were all metal and good little reels. My brothers and I have caught some pretty big fish on them. The new ones look like oversized 202's. I've personaly have caught 20+ carp on those old 202's. I bought my 9 yr. old one of the new 202 combos and it is a piece of crap just like the old ones - but - it's a good starter rig for a small one.
    I just don't believe that I would buy a new 606 with the hopes of hooking a big one it. If you like that type of reel, upgrade a little to the 733. It's alot stronger. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Well guys, no 606. Jut bought a magnum 808 at ShopKo for 19.00. Thanks for all your info.

10. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    fishin pal im right behind you i been eyeballin a 808 i have 4 amassaders and a pinnacle bait cast just want a 808 cause of the features and it looks stout held one at walmart today.lol well good luck

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use abu's, but my mom has two 606 and two 808 and loves them ive seen her reel in fish over 20lb on both. They are the older ones though that are metal prolly alot better than the new ones with the plastic housing.

Wheelmobile07

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've still got a 202 in the original plastic package they came in over 30 years ago. That's where it's going to stay too. I must have smoked 4-5 of those little critters. Good little reel like you said to start em out with.
    Don