Zebco 600

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by jailcop2, Sep 2, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I was rummaging around some stuff today and found one of my dads old reels . It is a Zebco 600 , about the size of a 33 , black , has an ultra loud clicker for that type of reel , and a thumb screw drag adjustment . Any body ever use or have one??
    Thanks
    Brian

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hey I had one of those when I was a kid. I wonder what happened to that thing. Mine was a copper colored one though. Thanks for the memories.

3. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I owned one copper front cover black back cover it was just as good as the 33's I had at the time

4. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks guy's
    Brian

5. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just fished one of these out of a local pond. Took it apart and cleaned it a bit. There wasn't any growing algae on it so I figure it ended up there recently. The only problem I have had with it is the rubber "o-ring" inside fell completely apart when I took it apart. It still seems to operate correctly the only problem is that every few casts the top flies off. It doesn't screw on like most new Zebcos so I am unsure of how to secure it. Any info on how it fastens?

Thanks,
    Powerman2442

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great find. I know nothing about those poles/reels, but I due know that zebco used to make some real good reels, not so much anymore, but good luck with it and let us know how it goes

7. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, it was my first cast in a local parks pond. Couldn't see it in the dark, thought it was a stick so I almost snapped my line. Had my brother walk over to it while I pulled it closer to shore. I was excited to finally "catch" something today. Even more that it was a Zebco reel. I'm currently using an extremely old Zebco 33, works like a champ.

Just curious as to why you say Zebco doesn't make good reels anymore? I got mine back in elementary school, along with my Quantum Lite 6' rod. Got back into fishing 2 summers ago. Then, really got hardcore within the past year. The other day I stayed up almost 24 hours straight fishing.

Anyway, if you happen to stumble upon any information about the Zebco 600, in terms of diagrams that might show how to "lock" the cover in place. I might be going out tommarow to test this out a bit more. Worst comes to worst I can rig it up with some zip ties or tape. As long as it casts. :p Oh the rod I "got" with it was a Berkley, only 5' 10" though.

Like I said if you stumble on any info let me know.

Thanks,
    Powerman2442

8. Rickwv

Rickwv New Member

State:
    WV
    I have two 600's my first was when I was 8 years old, the cover on the bottom of the rel foot there's a small roll pin that goes up through the housing the bottom of the cover is elognated. Use something small like the tip of a small nail and tap it lightly so it sticks up some on the inside bottom of the reel, too there's one for the back cover as well. The cover screw is concave on the bottom make sure the front and back covers are pushed all the way in as there's a little stub sticking up on the back of the front cover and front of the back one. That should fix it

9. Rickwv

Rickwv New Member

State:
    WV
    My first combo was a 600 still have one, a neighbor gave me mine broke not the reels fault but my lack of exoerience at the time on reassembling at the age I was then. Recently I found another in a pawn shop they both work just fine.

10. Rickwv

Rickwv New Member

State:
    WV
    I had one like that years ago I am on disability now, before that was approved I sold some things regrettably the reel was one of them. Recently looking in a pawn-shop I found one like it on a Pro staff rod, $12.00 needless to say I now own it a little cleaning and some fresh line works like new.