Zebco 33

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Mar 3, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I have one of those 20 dollar zebco 33 combos from walmart, if i put some good 10lb line on it, would it be a good catfish combo, i think it will work, and it casts a mile

thanks for the input
    Marshall

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It will work. The combo shoud do well with cats up to 10 lbs, after that, its all skill and luck.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I've got 8 of em. Good for just basic all around fishing. I've caught bass, crappies, cats, carp, bullheads, gills, sucker and even an old boot on em.

4. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The 33 will work fine,it's a grat reel for the money. However I've found with combo rod and reels, the rod is usally low quality. When you figure a 33 reel alone is about $15, then the rod is only a $5 rod. Get a 6' med. Rhino rod for $20 or better yet a 6' med. Ugly Stik for $28, both can be found at walmart and will work much better with the 33 on fish up to 10 lbs. than the zebco rod.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    The 33 is a good little reel, but i would take Mikes advice about putting a different rod on it.

6. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The "33" will serve it's purpose if you understand it's limitations. I've seen BIG fish caught with them and I've seen them fail on mediocre size fish, but considering this reel was introduced sometime in the early 1950s or possibly before and is still around in one form or another speaks well for it's durability. I have a dozen or more that work probably 25 or 30 that need repair or have been cannibalized for parts........never throw one away if it doesn't work because someone will give you one that doesn't work that has the part you need to make it work. They aren't indestructable, but it's a good reel to learn with and that first "33" I used in the 50s cost $1.94 the rod it was on was solid glass and cost $3.85........times have changed.

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    O man what an awesome reel!
    Ive had one in particular for over 10 years and like its been said before I couldnt hurt that thing if I tried!..mine is a 33 Rhino and its always had 20Lb on it and dose very well..I caught a big channel on it years ago and during the fight the little bait alert on it shot out of it like a gun shot ! LOL..it never effected it at all ..now I have it on a 7ft southbend bass rod..and it seems to be the perfect combo..I wouldnbt want to catch anything over 20lb on it but with the rod being more flexable it takes some of the strain off the gears

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Zebco 33 is a good reel,however put it on a stroner more expensive rod and it will make ya a fine piece of fishing equipment!:big_smile:

9. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've got a 33 Platinum on a 6' med action ugly stick, and it handles channels up to 10 lbs plus with no problems. I think the 33s they are making now are a lot better than they made a few years ago.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They are good reels that have been around for ever The Zepo33 was the first I ever owned:cool2:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They are good reels, It will handle small cats very well.

12. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've got a few 33's. I use them in the spring when i fish with crickets and a bobber. Thay haven't let me down yet.

13. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    The Zebco 33 is a good all around Reel. Just make sure you have the drag set right just in case you hook a big one.

14. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Zebco 33 is a nice tool for several fishing applications. The new improved version of the “33” that came out one or two years ago is even better. The drag system is improved. The line capacity was increase to 130 yards of 10 lb. line. And, my favorite improvement, you can easily move the reel handle to either side. Since I enjoy reeling with my left hand, this is now possible. Older models had a fixed handle and could only be reeled from the right side. It may not be the best tool for big blues on the Mississippi, but it works great if used within its limits. I’m like many of you and own several. They also seem to hold up pretty well.

Ralph

15. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I am a true believer in those spincaster reels. I think the one thing that makes reels worth the money is the drag. If you are able to control the drag on your 33 then you should be able to catch just about any fish you want to on it, maybe even some bigger than 10lbs. I would go to a 20lb superbriad line. Use less of it, like maybe 10 yards less than you would use of the other stuff. As for the rod, make sure to get one you like. If you like the one you have then stick with it. I would suggest a more flimsy tipped rod so as to ease the pressure on the reel gears and to help with casting distences.

16. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The 33 will be a great reel for you. If you adjust your drag correctly. If you are not fishing for fish over 20 lbs. If you prefer closed face reels. Go with a Zebco 808 or Shakespeare Tiger. Walmart sells the Tiger rod and reel combo for less than 20.00 dollars. I have caught alot of fish on zebco 33's, 7 1/2# large mouth bass, 10 # striper, and alot of cats up to 15# and thousands of bream/sun fish.

17. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    its ready for the water, i cleaned it up, and put some 10lb spiderwire on it, it should be ready, i will only be using it in areas where the cats are under 5-6 pounds

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i grew up on them. had countless ones over the years. some last a long time some dont, espessily the new ones, but it will get ya going. caught a lot of fish n them and lost some.

19. GumboGalahad

GumboGalahad New Member

State:
    Richmond, Indiana
    The Zebco 33 is the best all around reel in my opinion. For catfish make sure you set the drag. And like so many others have said, put it on a good rod. I'd go with a Tiger.

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've still got the one my dad bought the first year they came out. I take it out once in awhile and it still works great! It's still on the original rod also. I've caught fish just over 15lbs on it and it just keeps going. I got my wife one for her first reel, and that's all she wants to use. They are great reels!