ZEBCO 33? are they any good?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 26, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    OK i wanted some more opinions I may be buying one of the newer zebco 33 the shiny one lol. and I was wondering what would be a good rod to go with it and are the zebco 33's any good i know they are ok for fish up to 15lbs. but are they good?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you can't beat a 33 for light and medium fishing it is a reel that has stood the test of time and kept on coming. Though not a hawg reel they are a great multipurpose reel.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree 100% with that!

4. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always had good luck with them. i used to pull in a lot of carp and catfish of them but nothing real big. Of course most of the time I was fishing off the bank and I couldn't get to the deep holes were the big ones was sitting at.

5. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    In my opinion, for the size fish they we designed for, they are probably the best reel ever made. They are tough and normally work flawlessly.

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    zebco reels is what i started out with as a kid and i got my daughter her first one ....gonna be a family tradition

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Zebco 33 is the Model T of fishing reels.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i used to swear by them ,always used them for all my fishing till i tried abus a few years ago .for the money you cant beat a 33 i would buy one every year use it to max discard it and buy another back then i never changed the line on them either i always bought the combo kits lol

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To your ? about a rod to go with a 33. I like 5 1/2 to 6 foot rods in lite to medium action. the reels come with 10lb line but i have put heavier on and survived. Just match the rod to line and set the drag correct you'll be ok.I have not caught any thing over about 15lb or so but have seen some big fish landed using them. For the money and ease of use they are the best.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I cut my teeth on a Z 33 they are hard to beat:smile2:

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've had the same results.. Until I switched over to baitcasters, I used them for years and years and landed Lots of big Carp (up to the 30# range) and +20# flatheads and channels.. I always loaded mine with 17# stren line. I also cleaned/regreased/and checked them at the start of every season..
    I still use some for my White bass fishing....
    They are easy to use, can last forever if used properly, cast a country mile...
    If you going after eater size channel cats, I would say they hard to beat for the money.... If you buying now, either just use a combo, or if you want to spend some extra $, just put it on a ugly stick....

12. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Some times I feel like Zebco should have me on their payrole. I love that company. I Have a lot of rods from them and a 733. The only trouble I have ever had out of a Zebco was my Brother's 404 was left out in the sun and rain and cold and heat on top of a shed for 2 years and the reel locked up. The rod is still in great shape, although a shade lighter color. I say, "Get a 33 and enjoy it." And you can quote me on it.

13. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I decided that i was looking for a bigger reel but i look the new 33 look so im gonna get a 733 hawg they look the same but it looked the same.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont know about the newer ones, but owned a couple of 33 reels when I was younger and they worked great for me. Also had a 733 hawg reel made by Zebco that was one of my favorites. I would reccomend trying a Berkley lightning rod med light action.

15. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Zebco and Ugly Stick , fishing equipment for the working class :lol:

95% of my reels are Zebcos, got the older 33's , new 33's, 733, and 808 Magnum. Even got my first reel ever, a Zebco 76 on a 30" rod. To me the newer Zebco's are the best reel for the money. They cast good , reel smooth and quite, and drags pretty good too.The 733 Hawg and 808 Mag. work great on the bigger fish, 33's are an excellent medium size reel. They never let me down. You won't be dissapointed.

Also the world record 123 lbs. Flathead was caught on a Zebco 33 with 12# line. :eek:oooh:

16. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

The world record flathead really?!?!?!?!?!??! wow!!!!

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    this is without a doubt IMO one of the best reels made for light to medium cattin'.but a while back i swiched to baitcasters for cats and carp and have never looked back.but anyway the 33 is a great reel.

18. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with a new 33 (at least the Platinum one) I use one, along with my 2 old ones (at least 25 years old). I admit, I bought a few in between that weren't much good. The older ones are still in darn good shape, and I almost like them better than the new one. For a few years, I gave up on the new models, but when they came out with this new one, I gave it a try, and haven't been disappointed yet. As long as your not fishing for monsters, and want a good all around reel, they'll serve your needs very well.

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    They work great, I use em whenever I go channel cattin. Great R+R combos.

20. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Its the first reel I would use to catch 123lb world record flatheads.LOL:crazy: