YUMA need help fast

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by micah, Jun 23, 2008.

1. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I've been sent out ot Yuma to work. I'm going to go back to Phoenix tomorrow and get my truck. Do I need a boat to have any luck fishing out here or can I catch bait and fish from shore. If so where can I go. I know there's Martinez lake and the river. Any suggestions from anybody....thanks
    Micah

2. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    You can fish the all american canal,it starts around yuma,mittrey lake.Very easy to fish from the bank,we set up on the down side of the drops/siphons using blugills.Also good channel cat bite on cut gills.Biggest flathead we got was about 15lbs,but Im sure there are some bruisers in there.Also alot of canals and backwaters around to collect bait.Good luck,
    Bill

3. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Bill what the hell are you holding up in your Avitar? That thing looks like the monster that haunts me in my dreams.:eek:oooh: That's a huge B @*#! but a good lookn one at that.:wink:

4. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Micah,

Don't know squat about Yuma having never been there, but something tells me you will get it figured out. Good luck!!

5. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Micah,
    The all american is good fishing but it is in Ca and you need a Ca license to fish there. The Gila canal is just below imperial dam on the Az side and is good fishing also. Lots of bank places to fish. Fishing can be very good at times with many different species present. Not sure if you are familiar with the area or not but basically head north on hwy 95 til you come to the big guns, turn left til you cross the canal. To your right is the dam, the left runs into mittry lake which is also good fishing. Hope this helps. Tight lines.

:cool2:

6. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Thanks for all the info fellas. Much appreciated
    Micah

7. geter done gee

geter done gee New Member

State:
    Arizona
    going to Bartlett this weekend have to fish from the bank were is a good place and how far back can i get any info would be very helpful also appreciated

8. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    Well, I went down 95 and made my way to mittrey lake. Once i got to the lake there was a pretty fast moving body of water on the right. I guess its considered a canal. It almost looks like it would be better for flats than the lake. Would you recommend fishing the lake over that or should i stick with the lake. Also, would I be better off going and fishing from shore at Martinez lake. Thanks FELLAS
    micah

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if you are gonna be in town this weekend you are more than welcome to ride out with me. i can show you some good spots where i always have a descent amount of luck. sent you a pm

10. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I went out last night with 5 bluegill and a box of worms. I found a really sweet spot where I could fish one in the current and one in the slack water. I got there at 7:30 and I ran out of bait at 11 pm. I caught a 7 lb channel on a huge live bluegill and a 5 lb channel also. I caught both of them in pretty still slackwater and then aroud 10pm I caught a 9 lb flathead on a live bluegill. If the wind wouldnt have picked up i probably wouldnt have caught anything because I would have left. I was getting eatin alive by the bugs. I missed 2 runs, dodged bats and then left.
    Micah
    Thanks for all the info Mike and Joey