Yuma Canals

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by SSgt Fishslayer, May 1, 2008.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The channels are hitting in the canals in yuma. went out last saturday night and caught 5 the biggest cuaght was about 10 pounds, 1 about 4 pounds and the rest were about a pound. Even caught a nice little flathead about a pound on cut bait. the bait of choice right now in the canals is night crawlers. Junes bait shop is selling them in the foothills for $1.75 a dozen, which is way cheaper than wally world sells them. just thought i would let you guys know. i have pics but i need to get them off of the camera first.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Joey, Now is the time to hit that big drainage down by Sommerton.
    The large flats should be moving around in there.
    Find you some Gills and get out there.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i am going to head out to the canals again tomorrow night. i am thinking that maybe saturday night i will hit up the drain and see what i can pull out of there. i will definately let you know how i do.

4. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

Where is this place Joey?

5. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    it is in the foothills on fortuna at the little strip mall with the barber shop in it across the street from crazy earls

6. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i think they are on the other website that we are on luey.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    joey, that junes bait store on other website is located in parker. one in foothills is a new to us. i'd heard rumors several yrs back about one out there, but never found it.
    gary

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Gary, looks as though Tom and I will hit the area south of Blythe to try the side water there.(may 9,10,11)... the oxbows.... Launch from McIntire and see what we can do.....and then we will be ready for the "Blythe Gathering"....Maybe we could come that way Memorial day weekend.....Ugly thought, but if we stayed out of camp and just fished at night.... may not be to crowed at squaw...???? Just another $300 in gas to get there and back....

bayrunner ray

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    that could be a ugly weekend, you're right. could stay at my house, but one of you would have to "camp" out in house. only extra double bed. do have new couch now that is large enough to sleep on. but suggest empty boat out of poles, ect at night. (a thought we can talk about if squaw is full).
    gary

10. AZ RIVERMAN

AZ RIVERMAN New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A MAP OF THE YUMA FISHING AREAS. IS THERE SUCH A THING:embarassed:I DROVE DOWN FROM CASA GRANDE A COUPLE OF TIMES AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT BODY OF WATER I WAS FISHING (CANAL / RIVER / RUNOFF)?

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the fishing report sounds like the fish is biting good in your area, glad to hear that your catching some and you had some good time last week on your trip, good luck to you on the rest of your fishing trips and I hope you catch you a bunch of fish.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Rudy, i live here in yuma and can't locate map either other than the river map. i depend on directions, or google search area. problem i'm running into (i find) is people say go to this place. it's a local name for it. can't find on map or google. so i just explore. i know there is a lot more area's out here i haven't "found" yet, but i'm still searching.
    gary

13. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    To all my brothers posting in this thread I would like to thank you all for the info on the map issue. Now I don't have to spend all my time running and by running I mean driving around looking for one. I am due to relocate to Yuma in August(military) so it's good to know this. Just keep your eyes open for my IMs to come through for those wheres and hows of the area. Thanks again for the info.

14. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Joe, you will be here when the heat is at it's worst, be prepared. Welcome to the city.
    I also do the map thing from either MSN or Mapquest to find places here in Yuma; I am still getting to know the area myself but pretty much where there is water you can find some fish.

I almost forgot, you can get a map of the local fishing holes at the Game and Fish office on 9E avenue, they are free.

15. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC

Damn I'm already hot just thinking of it. Anyways thank you for the info on the local maps. I'll be sure to pick one up on my way in.