Yuma bound....

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by gilmafam, Nov 9, 2007.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    well I'm off to the Lower Colorado River again.... My Wife and I are going to hit up Squaw Lake camping to see how the "Flats" are as the "Turkey Days" are soon apon us...... We'd like meet up with some of you iffin you in the vacinity...... Gary (toFish) should be able to meet up with us..... anyone else going to be out and arround???

bayrunner ray....

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    i'll be city bound but good luck to you, hope you hear the clicker!:wink:

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    RIP OUT A GOOD ONE RAY!

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    met ray and his wife sharlynn (probably spelled wrong) down at squaw lake sat afternoon. plan was to fish that nite, sleep in truck and go back home next day. not with them. they fed me, took me in boat, intertained me, did almost all ecxept get me into fish. LOL. we fished hard most of time, and monday i took them out to fisher lake for breakfast. really good folks.
    looking forward to next time of visit with them.
    gary

5. gilmafam

State:
    California

My wife....Sharlene and I got a leisure start saturday morning from home and headed away from the $3.27 gas to the cheeper gas in Arizona.... on the way we encountered the highest gas in the town of Brawley @ $3.49. didn't mater to me as with 50 gal in the RV I could make it to Yuma to enjoy the cheeper prices.....I decided to get my gas from the Chevron @ $3.08.

Making bait (blue gill) was on the slow side.... tried the brush on the sides of Squaw lake, and later found some smaller ones suspended in 11 foot of water.... seems like they were more abundent two weeks back.....Fishing was on the slow side two....... Gary and I tried several spots for an hour or so and moved on to one hole that was productive last time. I ended up with one flat the first night that ran about 5 lbs. Gary struck out this time out as he was using the side of the boat that Plumbertom1 usually fishes from The "Lucky side". The wife really enjoyed the camp site that we had at the lake. Lots of scenic views and birds and nature.... she finished one book, started another, and even did some knitting while Gary and I tried some of the "ole honey holes" that have produced in the past....We decided to call it a short night about midnight as it had been a long day with the 318 mile drive from my home at the beach getting to Yuma..... will post some pics later as they are on the camera at home......

Had a great time.... going again for 3 day next week .....

bayrunner ray

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Just as I thought..... there is lots of water on the lower Colorado river.... (It's been kept quiet for some time now)....but you have to get off the "river" and hit the canals off the sides which lead to some real nice lakes.......Gary (ToFish) has been so nice to show the entrances to some of the bigger canals..... and with the aid of the GPS I have been able to "chart" most of where I have been down there....... makes it easier to get back there when the night is dark and when one has liquid brains working.....
    An average depth of the water on the lower colorado river is "shallow" to various depths that can be motored over at speed...... unlike the water on Havasu, which can get to 60 feet in some spots, the lower water has some holes to almost 40 feet deep, with the average hole areas getting to 12 to 15 feet deep.....The important thing that both Plumbertom1 and Tofish say about the water is that if it is moving..... then the fishing will be better.

Gary was nice to have got some "river grown" gold fish for us to use for fishing on Sun night...... again, we did not try to do an "all night" on the water, as it is getting cold.... and why not get back to the warmth of the RV (me and my wife)..... Gary gets the back of his truck.....

Going to use my bungie cord anchoring device next time.... the COONS are rather smart down there...... they see my boat, and know that there is chips, mackeral, and this time night crawlers..... and then they wipe there muddy hands (paws) on my dash board.....I'll show em.... they will have to swim to my boat now... or hand over hand on the bow rope.....

pics on the next post... (when wifey is home)

bayrunner ray

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    The Colorado river has one "major dam" down at the end of it prior to going into Yuma....Imperial dam is the last one.... so to speek..... It is the only one on the colorado river that I know of that lets you go right up to the dam and look over it...... I guess that there is not much "terrior threat" with this dam...... looking at the dam, there are two places where the water is diverted left and right at the dam...... The Gila main on the Arizona side (east) and on the Calif. side is the All American Canal.....There is some water that continues over the dam and is called the colorado river as it heads to Yuma, and Mexico....

The dam itself..... lets the water flow over the crest of the "low dam" and there is larger and taller walls of the dam on the Az and Ca sides.....

Some say that "folks" have gone over the low wall and have "gotten air" as they went over the dam...... bout 40 feet down.... but not that deep on the upper side..(10 ft)..... bet the folks really cussed as they "flew off the top"

so... here are three pics of Imperial dam.... the higher part on the Ca side, and two of the lower part where the water flows over the top to the pond below......

bayrunner ray

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    here is a pic of the small flathead that gave us a short "fun' while looking for the big ones....... and a picture of the convienient tables right on the water ......

bayrunner ray

9. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Ray, glad you had a good time. Gary sure seems like a nice guy; looking foward to meeting some time in the near future.

Jaime

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ray, actually, that birm where the water flows over just goes into the ponds below, then i think leaches over to the river. to the right of it is where it flows on through and down to mexico.
    was glad to show you the spots. nothing secret about them, but easy to miss a few of them.
    will see about next week how i feel. still trying to recover from this past weekend. LOL don't know if i'll spend all the nights, but will be down. have other friend fishing by laguna dam i want to see also if possible at same time.
    gary

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well gang.... can't wait to get out of town...... seems that our school district has thrown a day or two together, and now we have a whole week off at Xgiving time..... (wish I had that 15 years ago when I snow skied as a patroller)...... So, I plan on getting some local gill and hitting the lower colorado river to see if I can get my first Flathead in the teens..... I know that for some of you that is no big thing, and it may be for me too, but that is what I have in mind with this weekend ..... sunday, mon, tues nights.....
    Gary (tofish) may be around to be part of this, but I can do it alone if I have to...... Same place, at Squaw lake.... white minniwinnie... blue boat.....got my gas money all saved up..... and enough feul to get me to Yuma's cheeper gas..... to get home with.....

I won't be on the site till after Xgiving, so to all of you local AZ boys and everyone else as well....."have a great Xgiving" peace and good will to ya'all

bayrunner ray

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    so ray, to unconfuse me since i'm old and get confused easily. are you going to be down here before or after thanksgiving? you say this weekend, but almost same paragraph, say won't be down until after thankgiving. if you are trying to get me mixed up, you have suceeded. :crazy:
    gary

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Gary.... you ole fart.... I think I'm older, but aside from that, I'll be happy to share a seat with you if you can get away from the easy chair and come to Squaw on Sunday, that is ...t o m o r r o w Sunday, and not the following sunday which is after xgiving....Got the usual start up bait... mackeral, chovies, and crawlers..... Oh, by the way... going to use my "prevent racoons on board" bungie to keep the boat offshore late at night.... getting tired of them eating my chips, and leaving their muddy paw prints on my "getting dirty" boat.....

bayrunner ray

14. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    I really need to make it out to the lower colorado, the is just so much good fishing oppurtunity

15. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Some day I will try that river in blythe. Do you think a trolling motor will do ok, that is all I have. Thanks

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    trolling motor will work fine, as long as you don't lift up the anchor. LOL that current is swift. gotta have a motor for it, and one or two good anchors. when i went up there, i only had my lighter anchor. wouldn't hold good.
    gary

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    well, a little late, and not much to post. had friends camped at laguna dam (below imperial dam) and stopped by to see them sunday on way to squaw lake. wasn't feeling good, so only went out with ray and caught a few gills for bait. also donated some goldfish i had to him. monday, i went out to spend night with ray and his wife, Charlene. (great people by the way. ) we fished pretty hard that afternoon and night. but for nada. had a couple of good runs, but nothing hooked. came in late, and went to sleep. best sleep i'd had in weeks. wonderful weather for it.
    next morning tried again, but same story. nothing to show except came home full after a good breakfast about noon at fisher lake.
    left after that with ray napping and went home. again like last time, great visit, but fishing just wasn't happening. no current, and fish gods just didn't agree with us.
    gary

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the pics Ray! I got a little homesick looking at them. I think that I know where you took them. Did you get to see any of the wild donkey out there? LOL! They used to creep me out at night!

19. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Dameon..... fishing was rather "off"..didn't try to get up river more than say 6 miles..... I'm sure that the water up river might have been better.... water temps were ok.... in the middle 60's..... I think that the lack of "good running water" may have been the problem.....I think they released a lot of water, and then shut it down, and then slack water had lots of garbage floating in it..... bait was hard to get.......Hell, I even used the meat grinder to make some gill and chovie/mackeral chum.....

When I came back in Sunday night, three local donkey's tried to intimidate me, but I gave em a big ole grunt that spooked them off...... I could smell them as I got out of the boat...... stronger than "sonnies dip"..... had to look twice on the ground to not step in the "road apples"

Had some good temporary runs, and that was it..... Might have been the local Beaver just messing with us in "his pool".........

Not giving up..... can't get flatheads in the supermart....

bayrunner ray

20. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Glad to hear you had a good time Ray!
    Linz:wink: