Yuma bound....

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Jun 25, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Heading out now to meet with "tofish" to check out the local canals and maybe the river....at Yuma....:big_smile:

later... Bayrunner Ray

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Sounds Good Ray" :0a32: "Good Luck to you guys out there"! :0a23:
    :wink:

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    hell, he's here, sitting in living room. fed him, burped him, and now he's eating the ice cream.. gonna fish tomorrow. doing the drinking tonight. LOL
    gary

4. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well, at least you have your priorities in order! :wink:

5. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    You guys have a good time and bring back some pics. And not of a skunk either.:smile2:

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    well, ray left this morning. nothing to brag about, but no skunk. well, mine is close. 8 inches. he caught a 14 inch or so channel in canal but released.
    heat did us in. didn't get to fish like we wanted to. but great visit.
    gary

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Those two young men that came to the Blythe Gathering with me went back to Blythe this past weekend.
    They fished the main canal at the pump station just below the diversion dam and caught three small flats and missed what was described to me as a couple of very earnest runs using GF for bait.
    If I hadn't had previous plans I would have gone with them. I'm just not getting enough fishing in.
    Haven't done any salt fishing this year. Darn finances are in a mess, I never realized insulin therapy was so damn expensive.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Can't make that commitment at this time, Scott. I have to make a trip to Oakhurst (just north of Fresburg) next week to help my sister relocate a drain and shower valve for her new tub, That trip will require I take my truck so I can carry tools. With my expenses just taking a major jump I'm not sure I'll have the where-with-all to make that trip later in the month as it comes up just before my monthly disability allotment will arive.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California

Well the fishing was hot....Not.....:angry:

Finally getting around to finishing up the "Yuma bound".... Took out of town around 11am and did the trip to Yuma in record time... seems that a slight "tail wind" pushes the ole "Durango" quite nice... had to get the foot off the gas peddle a few times as I was speeding ... just use 14.5 gal of gas for the trip down, and at Chevron the $2.59 price was better than the $2.99 gas in LA...(Would you believe 20+ MPG with the air working hard?)

"Hooked up" with Gary.."tofish" in his outdoor smoking room (garage) as he was putting the finishing touches on a friends swivel seat modification.

We decided to visit and replenish our vital liquids for the first night, as the local police was on the prowel looking for anything that was able to drive in the town....:smile2::smile2:.... I really wanted to hit the local canals.. but I had to do the "stay at home" thing..... I needed a License anyway, so that was what we did the next am.... "Wally World".... and the much needed sun visor for my wifes car.... Ya see, it does not get that warm here at the beach.....

We headed out mid day and hit up some area that Plumbertom1 had shown me before.... It was dark when I was introduced to the Mittre area, and Gary showed more of the "off the path" areas ....

Got our "gills" from a back ramp area as the gills were on some nests and it was quite easy to sight fish and get all that we wanted....

I did take some pic's.... rather limited though.. one was the "smoke signals" put up by the local Indians ... Gary said that it was indicating that "it was hot today".....:smile2::smile2::smile2:... (Mittre looks like mendota somewhat)
    Another pic is a group of Gills chasing each other around to get-em off the nest area....

More in the next post....Bayrunner Ray

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Back to it.... "would you believe 120 in the shade".... and it was... the first night had a bunch of clouds looking like it was going to dump some rain.... Nada....

Well anyway... we took Garys "Tracker" out to Squaw Lake for Fri night.... The parking lot had a few boat in it... which is not un-common as the lake is popular for the folks comming out of Yuma or parts to the west....

The traffic on the river was "high" as we were getting on the water about 7PM.... We were fishing a canal or cut that came out from a "back water" lake area, as a "toon" came out and we had to pull our lines in from the 11ft water at its entrance.... We gave it a try with out "gills' and some liver that Gary brought along.....

Later, we went back down the river to a place above a 30-40 ft. hole on the Az side across from Squaw lake..... The plan was to anchor off the reeds to fish, as both Gary and I have lost fish at this spot as they run to the bushes to escape the capture....:wink:....

I thought we were a little to far into the channel ... but I'm not the "Captn" of this boat.... anyway.... after about an hour of sitting and fishing... a "freeking" pontoon dude with a bunch of Arce Holes aboard came so close as to cause us to give em some choice words.. as their wake put us into a good movement of "sloshing".... Gary said that he would have shot his pistol at em.... I just uttered some choice words "very loudly" about his mother and how he like to suck on things..:wink:

Well, we had several nice "pick-ups" and :"runs".... but nothing stayed on....

We stayed at this prime area for several hours as Gary wanted to drain the ice chest of our vital liquids...... for the trip back to his house...

Well, the evening was a nice one... the new moon was with us for 2-3 hours as it finally sunk behind the mountains and went dark.... Nice to see the jets overhead heading east and west ... making no noise to speek of, and to hear the water passing by the boat as we talked the night away...

The drive home was a "new" experience for Gary, as he could see... finally.. his recent therepy had worn off and it was now safe to drive through the "burrow infested" roads for the ride back to Yuma.... Ya see, a buddy of his... from the Yuma bassmen had an incident with a "donkey" one night and has left an impression upon Gary....

Here are some "left-over" pics of the Blythe Gathering... one of Mike "Tailgunner" showing the size of the fish or something...

Later for now...Bayrunner Ray

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    two quick add to post.
    i actually said i'd of shot into water if i'd had the pistol along, and tailgunner is russ, not mike.
    but it was great to be able to see good enough to drive at night again.
    gary

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Did you take the 3:10 to Yuma? :smile2:

13. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah, and found Nick Adams there waiting.:eek:oooh:
    (Sorry, that reference is probably too early for you:cool2:)