Yuma bound....

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by gilmafam, May 6, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Heading out thru mid day to meet up with Gary "tofish" and do the flathead hunt on the lower colorado river at Yuma. Plan on getting to "squaw lake" around sun down, and give it a little try the first night once the camp in set up. Gary should be able to meet up with us Fri after his medical needs for the day. Should have no problem getting some nice gills for bait for the nights adventure.

Plan and showing my son..Ray Jr. some of the finest water on the river. He has been to Havasu and other spots, but has not been with my wife on the river for some time and I want to check out this great area with him to show him some spots that he may come to in the future.

Got him the fishing license, which we will also use on "fathers day" when we do a get together with another dad and son for some "salt fishing"

Will be nice to see Mike "thunderchicken" if he will come and see us one more time.... sorry Mike that pissed you off ...I'll make up for it this trip.

So... hopefully we will have some nice pics of the bait.. going to use some big worms and that might help....and of course the flats, which is the main item for this 300 mile trip. The heat should be about 100 during the day, with the nights in the high 60s.

Sure hope that we can "hook-up" with some other local Yuma boys...

Later for now... Bayrunner Ray

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Good Luck down there Ray - make sure that you take lots of photos of the areas down that way.
    :wink:
    :0a23:

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey Ray Billy jo and myself are headed out of Walters camp and headed south down into the Picacho area, will be leaving WC sometime around noon thur. staying in the boat and fish n the night, then lurk n around friday day time and fish fri night and head back sat morn. not sure how far N your headed if ya get up that way keep a eye out for us,:wink:

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ray, my chamber sessions are done so can come down in morning soon as i can grind up my breakfast. don't know if Mike will make it or not. trying to talk him into coming down friday for awhile. told him i'd take my boat if he wanted to go out.
    gary

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Gary.... Since it is the first time down there for my son.... thought that we might do the up river trip to check out the sand bars etc. Maybe we can meet up Riverbud 55 and Billyjo and even go into Martinez and try for some crappi.... been a while for me to catch some... should be fun for the wife as well ifin we can find em.....

Bayrunner Ray

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good luck out there Dale keep me posted thats one of my newly desired areas as well as the Parker area too. Got to broaden my horizons. :smile2:

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Ray brother, Have a good time down there. Like Bert said, take some pictures and catch some fish brother. Wish you all luck:wink:

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Robb... here is a desaturated google map of "Squaw lake" area and the back water area that "tofish" Gary turned me on too.... lots of prime LMBass water and channel and flathead water too.....

Best to have a boat... or a yak or cannoe to get to spots... even float tube....:wink:

Bayrunner Ray

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well, we are back... caught some and lost some.... Nice to meet up with "tofish" Gary.... more to come tomorrow.. some flats pics to show... my son got his first flat....

Bayrunner Ray

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Riverbudd55. Had plans to hook-up with you up the river, but Gary got a little to much sun on Thur on Lake Mittry.... he said that he came back and ordered a bimini top for his boat....the water was down some and moving good at Martinez area.... when we did get out fri night, we tried several spots and stayed out til about 12;30 am.... had a fish or two get into the weeds and I might have been able to wrestle them out 20 years back but just broke em off.

Bayrunner Ray

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well my son and I went back out for saturday night.... we made it a short night as the bait cituaion had dwindled down, as we did some sight seeing with the family and just had some left over gills for bait....

I forgot to bring another mack out for bait, but before we left for the nights fishing, I put some "left over" chicken wings bones in my chum basket..... Believe it or not, the bit picked up... got one good fish on that again went into the reeds and sticks on the shore, and busted it off. later as the bait was dwindling... we brought Garys gill in and slabbed it out... that did the trick... my son and I got one each... nothing like the big ones that we had planned for...:angry: but some decent fish for Gary to eat....

Bayrunner Ray

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    not the one of him trying to kiss the fish? LOL glad you finally posted pictures ray. i'm such a handsome guy and you wife makes me look ugly. LOL
    gary

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    After the fishing for a short night on Sat. night, we came back and my son scaped up the coals and got a fire going .... I took a pic or two and was dead assssss tired and turned in..... coffee and breakfast comes early with the sun comming in early....got to remember to use the tripod next time.... still working on the digial camera and camera movement....

Bayrunner Ray

14. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well, the trip was to fish, and especially to get my son down with the wife and I and to meet with Gary "Tofish" to see what I have been doing down here at the Lower Colorado river. The son had been in the boat several time in the ocean, but never on the colorado river and we wanted him to see the area so he could make plans for a return trip with his friends....

So... we went out Sat. afternoon, and the river was just jammed with the waterski crowd trying to finish the day off with the last runs of the weekend.... most folks have to drive to San Diego, and depart on the early side of things on Sun am..... there was so much boat traffic and wakes etc. we changed our minds and came in to have an early BBQ

Sunday morning... after Gary had taken off for the short ride back into Yuma, my wife and son and I went out to see what the boat could do to pull him up from the back of the boat on his old wake board.

I have never pulled anyone with the boat.... I had done so 6 years back on my old boat... but was not sure how this boat would do it...

I did a "jury rig" with a 20ft rope to get around the motors.... yes motors... I have a kicker 8hp now.... bitchen....but my son got right up as though he never lost his touch.... the only problem... was that his feet had grown, and the boots or mounts for the feet were totally to small....

He said it was nice to "stretch" his arms... but the feet pain was to much.... :angry: only two times up for some turns and then we went to a secluded place to enjoy some swimming time....

Well thats all for now.... plannning on the Blythe gathering and meeting up with some new BOC members at the Az/Ca gathering...

Bayrunner Ray