Yuma 10/13 catfishing report

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Sep 29, 2007.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    It looks like my plans to make a trip to Yuma to meet with Eric F. and purchase his 'yak are developing a life of their own.
    Seems as though a number of persons from some of the other forums I participate on have been looking for some excuse to visit that area and have found this to be as good a reason as any to go so we may have a mini event there that weekend.
    Of course from my point of view all are welcome and encouraged to join us to share brotherhood in our sport and swap information and our best lies with each other. While I, like Gary, primarily target catfish, I also enjoy catching striper, pan fish of all types and even the occasional black bass. So if you feel like joining us gather up your gear and head out that week, I'll try and post contact information in the coming week.
    Maybe I can find someone local to host an information Thread.

2. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Tom if I'm reading your post right you'll be in the Yuma area over the weekend of the 13-14 of October, right? If so I'll be in the Picacho area that same weekend. I've got to get my river fix in before there's too much work to run away. I stay in my boat through out the entire time I'm there. Granted there are those "head" breaks yet most of the time I've always got a line in the water. Let me know if you'll head up to Picacho.

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Depends on the river conditions. I'll be there with BayRunner Ray and he will have his boat. We wil most likely put in at Squaw lake or Fishers landing, that's up to Ray and I know he likes to fish up river when the water is there.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Tom, sisiter finally called me, and she's not planning on coming here until around the 19th. so, i'm open the weekend of 13th. will get with joey soon about it.
    a thought. if you get that yak first thing, we could put it in back yard if you'd like if you don't want to leave at campsite. up to you. or in garage.
    gary

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks Gary, I'll have to talk with Eric about when we can get together. Didn't I read that you and he went out fishing not long ago?
    Did you invite him to join the BOC?
    We have a few other Marines on the board some from Pendleton on the beach here.
    Ray has hopes of fishing upriver if there is enough water to run in. I would like to fish some of the water between Fishers and Squaw to see if it's productive and you are the go to guy for cats in that area.
    Before you buy that new fish finder you might want to check out the ones that Ray has on his boat when we are down there. Nothing like seeing one in action to decide if it suits your needs.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i showed eric this site when we came in last week from fishing. guess i'll e-mail him the url to it.
    he also mentioned that he was interested on the trip up river to. so, gotta get him into it.
    as for fish finders, i'm just looking now. not gonna jump into anything real fast.
    gary

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    This sounds like a mini gathering:big_smile: Man, if I only lived closer. You guys have a great time. I been wanting to fish with you tofish. Really enjoy reading your post. One day I will be down there for one of them flats:wink: Just leave somefor me guys:big_smile:

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Id be right there with you guys if I was still stationed in yuma had some really good flathead holes and bass holes there. Some of the best fishing of my life. Im going back there in March to do some bass fishing and see if the flatheads are hitting but for me they really didnt start hitting really well until April or May. Good luck to you guys ive seen pictures of those big flats around where your fishing at the bait store by Martinez lake.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sure glad we didn't try and plan it for this weekend. wind is really blowing down here. got so dusty at one point, couldn't see 2 blocks hardly.
    gary

10. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yeah, it's blowing a little here now and supposed to blow pretty good all weekend. I was just checking out the weather site.
    Got to PM Ray and get him to look, he wanted to hit the salt sunday for a few hours but it looks like it might be a little rough.

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea .... we are going to cancel the salt trip.... wind at 27 ks, and with the swell thats is out there.....even north of Santa Barbara its blowing.... take til tuesday to flatten out the ocean .... Oh well.... onto the next week end... the low pressure should move on to the east where they dont need it either.

Even the Delta is having some 10-15 mph winds....

bayrunner ray

12. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    I know I'll be fishin out of the Picacho park area the weekend of the new moon. Whether it's windy or not, Catfish eat. As far as navigating, or better put negotiating, the river during the fall I can't see the issue. I've never had a problem reading the lower Colorado. The current slick is usually always easy to pick up, even in spite of the sun angle or wind chop. Granted in low light a sand bar or two might slide out farther into the main channel yet blowing a quartering wake across it determines it's lip and depth. Not to matter. Thursday will be the day to make bait. Possibly some bluegill on a fly for fun along with a backwater bass. Then it's those new moon dark nights! Made for a love affair with a finned creature. Real Mermaids have whiskers.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom and I should be leaving Thur to hit the All American on the way into Yuma.... and then up the river and out on the water at Fisher landing.... can't wait to get back down there.... last time I could barely walk and did not want to have to do that on some of the shallow areas.... Hope the waters still being sent down at good levels....

bayrunner ray

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    The wind on the river may make for an uncomfortable time but wouldn't cancel a trip unless it was blowing real hard.
    On the salt water it can kill you.
    Rays 19' aluminum boat does fine on the big water when conditions are not to rough but with the wind blowing onshore and the wind swells at 4' it would be almost impossible to fish from and very uncomfortable.
    My 24' sport-fisher with its deep hull would ride that and still allow you to fish as it has almost 3' of free-board at the stern but it would still be a rough very tiring ride.

15. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    I can agree with that Tom! An onshore wind strong enough to straighten a flag, an outgoing tide and ground swells over 3-4 feet and you often have more line out of the water than in. I had a 12ft Avon wearing a 25 hp Johnson that I would use out of Long Beach and Newport a couple of times a week. That "airboat" was safe enough yet there were afternoons I stayed inside the harbor and fished docks and oil islands. Granted it did find it's way to Catalina on a few trips. It was a great boat for a young man without a lot of responsibility or fear. She drooled for small craft warnings and the wake of a tanker coming through the breakwater openings. That girl would even surf the shoreline troughs outside of Newport when the waves would reach 6 feet. Alas, the time came to ,.,.,grow up. This is a given though on any river condition,,,,the CARP are always friendly.

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Tom, it's coming together down here for the 13th. sgt fishslayer (joey) is coming by tomorrow to see size of my boat so he knows what to bring. Eric is coming by today and we're gonna talk about it. told him he can use my extra 6gal tank since he only has a 6 gal one in boat. now to figure what to bring.
    if i can find your number again, i'll call you about it. if not, call me.
    gary

17. eric_f

eric_f New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey all, count me in. I can't wait for this trip! Hopefully the Marine Corps doesn't hit me with any BS so I can't go, but as of now it's full steam ahead!

~Eric

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Eric, good to see you. welcome. looking forward to this coming weekend.
    gary

19. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC Eric, I look forward to this week end and meeting you.

20. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray and I did go out fishing Santa Monica Bay yesterday. The predicted wind never arrived so it was fairly calm, not a lot of fish though I caught a bunch of dinks and Ray caught a legal size Salmon Grouper. We also caught 6 small macs which we will be bringing along with some sardines.