YoYo Reels as Limblines

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by NCCatter, Apr 17, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone else besides me has ever tried the yoyo reels for cats. I have a dozen of the steel ones and took them fishing the other night. I caught mostly small channels and some 8-10 lb. blues and even a 6-7 lb. gar. The problem I had was with a 1 lb. channel I caught. That fish "spooled" the yoyo and rendered it useless! I don't know how he was able to do that when the other fish were not. Anyway, I also had one yoyo to get ripped off the limb it was on so I lost it. No telling what kind of fish is dragging it around right now!! Probably hanging out of his mouth right now...This was the first time I had used them and was kind of disappointed in their performance. With small fish it reels them in so that their head and gills are out of the water when I get to them. Bigger fish don't have this problem. Also any little tap sets them off. Just wondering what kind of experiences everyone else has had with them.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard lots of complaints about yo-yos pulling fish partly out of the water. There's a way to avoid that, but it means creating another problem. You'll have to decide which problem you'd rather put up with. I'll assume you already have line on the yo-yo, either the line that came on it, or something you've put on it. Remove all sinkers and hooks, then attach a swivel to the end of the line. The swivel's break strength needs to be greater than the line you've got on the yo-yo. Make up some leaders just long enough to reach from your yo-yo to the surface of the water; this will mean that you are going to have to put your yo-yos all the same distance above the water, or wait till you have the yo-yo up to see how long the leader needs to be. If you have a loop on the end of the leader, you can attach it to the swivel without a knot, which will let you easily remove it when you're through fishing. Attach hook & sinker to the leader. Now your hook is resting at, or just below the surface of the water with no pressure on the spring. Bait the hook and pull out line till you have the hook at the depth you want. Set the trigger. Your yo-yos may be different, but mine have two triggers; one goes off with a very light bite; the other takes a considerably harder bite.

The new problem? When you remove your yo-yos at the end of a fishing trip and let the spring wind up line till all tension is off the spring, you're still going to have 2'-4' of leader flopping in the breeze. The yo-yo is only going to wind up line to the swivel, remember? You're going to have to remove the leader. Now you've got a 2'-4' leader to store or dispose of.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i looked at them yo-yo's at bass pro this winter, was actually thinking about trying it. after looking at the yo-yo's really good i decided against them. i could see a 10lb channel just destroying those things, let alone a flat that might come along and eat a 1lb channel hanging from it.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, if you're really worried about a good ol biggun getting on your yo-yo, tie it to the limb with, say, 20# test line, but also tie a one gallon antifreeze jug to the yo-yo so that if it's torn loose from the limb, it's still attached to the jug. You may have to do some looking for the jug, but it provides enough give that a fish shouldn't be able to tear loose from it.

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You might want to give Desperado, my brother a holler. He's seemed to have mastered the yo-yo's. Maybe he'll post here how he set his up.:0a26: