Yours, Mine, and Ours

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmandeux, May 9, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Garbage, that is...the detritus of "civilization"...

It's been coming past my house in a steady stream, carried by the flood waters of the North Canadian River. Bottles, plastic containers of every description, styrofoam packing, plastic buckets, old propane tanks, and on, and on. Every high water event on Lake Eufaula is marked indellibly by an unbroken line of this junk on the shoreline. It will return, but my appetite for fish has gone south on the flood.

If Oklahoma ever addresses waste management in a responsible, comprehensive manner, we will have to relenquish our position as leader of the Third World.:roll_eyes:

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sorry to hear that.
    I have seen the rivers flood up here and I can tell you the man made garbage is minimal. Lots of trees and wood, very little plastic.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, flood water is disgusting. Wouldn't eat the fish for a while. Rivers here arent too bad trash wise, but you never know what else has been washed in there.

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not sure whether Mn. has recycling on bottles and cans, but Michigan does, and that sure did help to clean up the waterways and roadsides.

Instituting that program would be a great first step for Ok., I think.

Around here, it's gotta be just plain ole laziness, cuz our dumpsites - transfer stations - are free. Folks just don't wanna bother hauling their rubbish. Where my parents are in N Michigan, they have to pay 50 cents per trash bag to get rid of the stuff. There are hefty fines on improper dumping, too... and they're enforced.

Good post, Dave... the mess sure does need to be addressed!

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Minnesota has curb side recycling and most recyclers have now made it easyier by means of one bin for all, no more sorting into individual bins.
    Also we have a $700. fine for littering.
    I also think adopt a highway has a big impact on the amount of litter that reaches our streams and rivers.
    My family adopted a highway about 10 years ago and we clean the ditches 1-2 times a year. We fill 20-30 large garbage bags every time and that is only 2 miles of highway or 4 miles of ditch. 90% of the trash is plastic bottles.