Your Worst Injury From A Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by redneckdrum, Jan 12, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Can y'all recall your worst injury from handlin' a cat? Back in the 1980s when i was a kid,my wife and i caught about 80 bullheads one day.None were over 8",but we were so hungry for catfish,i dressed all of em out and got horned by everyone of 'em.My hand was swollen and paralized for 3 days,had to take sick time.I'll never clean a catfish that small again!

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmm, i have 2 bad ones. one was when i got stuck by a madtom cat, hand swelled up for about 24 hrs. those things have poison in their spines! second was a small channel i caught at a *******, cught him and threw him in a short 3 gallon bucket. i then sat on the top of the bucket, fish started goin crazy and one of his horn got stuck in my #$@! in the process of pulling him off (while a whole lake full of people were falling out laughing) i broke off the tip of his horn without realizing it. got infected, swelled up and had to go to the doctor. yeah he thought it was funny too...

3. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    gettin' stung by a cat is no laughing matter(ask me).My second worst injury was 2 years ago nitefishin',i jerked a 4 pounder right out of the water,flew toward me and impacted me right in the calf of my leg(i was wearin' short,too)

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It hasnt happened yet, but Im sure this year Ill set the hook and miss clean and knock myself unconscious with a 3 OZ weight or there will be the time I get snagged with 17-20 lb mono and try to pull back on the line and slice into my hand or worse yet, the line will break and then Ill get hammered by the weight. LOL
    I got a finger full of Long Nose gar teeth one time and I never even felt it, just bled like a stuck pig for a few hours, then there is all those tiny trout flies Im imbeded into my finger, talk about making a grown man cry......BoooYah!!!!
    Im sure by mid season, Ill have som eother good stories for this thread!

Salmonid

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark, we have a member who's wife did just that and lost an eye. Not a good thing to do. I've had weights come flying back too, but since that incident I'm now very careful with them.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    When I was a kid, a buddy of mine and myself were doing a fishing all nighter. I was laying back on the bank next to the fire with one leg crossed over the other! I uncrossed my leg and let it drop. Apparently someone had cleaned a 3 or 4 pounder and left the head half buried in the sand and my heel ploped down on it with full force and inpaled the spine a good 3/4 of an inch! That was my worse! I also suffered some abuse from a 10 pound carp! Had my rod stuck inside a picnic bench and the rod shot stright up in the air and headed down the levy and was on it's way into the river! I jumped down the levey and sprained my ankle really bad and couldnt work for 3 weeks! I did save the rod and caught the carp. The time I missed from work, I could have bought 10 rods! Should have let it go!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess my worst catfish injury was way back when I was in in my early or mid teens. I'm not at all sure where we were fishing; I think it was the Halifax River near Daytona, but it could have just been some other sheltered saltwater area. We were catching mostly saltwater cats (hardheads) and small hammerhead sharks. As I lifted in a small hardhead, it came off the hook and dropped spine first on my anklebone. Didn't hurt as bad or as long as I would have expected.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I've gotten those gashes from the bullies before...... not fun at all... I've come up with huge welts and bruises falling down high banks to get fish before... (since then i've bought nets w/ really long handles)... ummm I think my worst injury was slicing my thumb down to the tendon... not fun and well 6 stitches (should have been alot more it was around an inch and 1/2 long... i've seen cm long cuts on other people in similar spots w/ more stitches)... The worst weight returning towards me hit me square in the nuts... OUCH... good thing i wasn't having to stand to cast...

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Not to make light of anyones physical injuries but the absolute worst kind of injury a catfish can inflict is when they stomp all over your ego. It matters not to them that you planned, prepared and spent $2.35 a gallon, they will shred you ego without giving it a moment's thought. Oh, the humanity!...W

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Back In the mid 80's I had a 4 pound cat drop on my arm and the fin berried all the way into my arm. I am sure it hit the bone! made my wife so sick trying to pull it out.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    About two years ago I caught a small blue cat and put him in the bucket and try to get my line straight, reached down to put him back in the water and his front fin went straight into my right pointing finger. Not a real bad story but man did it sting.

12. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    My buddy caught a 30in channel. I went to net him and missed and tripped in the boat. Now on my knees I just reached over the side of the boat and lipped the fish. That was my first lesson of never lippin a channel. He clamped down on my thumb and I could feel the skin popping. The "tough catman" that I am, I won't tell you that I had tears in my eyes!LOL.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My 7 year old son caught a saltwater catfish aprox.8 in.long.He snatched it out of the water.It went about 6ft.up in the air and came down on my left hand,which was spread palm down on the boat seat.The left spine went completely through the joint of my finger,with the fish flopping.I had to press down hard on the heel of my hand,while standing on my finger tips with my right foot.and snatch a few times to pull it out.This was a Saturday morning.Naturaly,you cain;t interupt the one weekend a month that you have off,to go to a doctor.Wednesday morning,after working the 11-7 shift,I waited on the doctors office to open.Didn;t think I was going to get much sleep anyway,the way it felt.It felt the size of a 55 gal. drum.but only hurt every time my heart beat.That was over 30 years ago.I still have the finger.It is still stiff and hurts to bend that joint.peewee-williams

14. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was a kid fishing off a pier at Aransas Pass in south Texas. Catfish was laying on the piers. I think people was using them as cut bait at the time. I dont remember for sure Anyway I caught a sand shark and was running to tell my Dad about it and mid stride I stepped on a catfish head. Fin went through my thin tennis shoe and buried in my foot.
    After a tuck and roll on the pier my Dad came up, grabbed fish and very quick pulled it out. Blood everywhere. Talk about hurt. Someone had a first aid kit, cleaned it all up for me and then my Dad scraped the slime off the belly of a catfish, covered my wound with it, rapped it in a pad. I couldn't walk for rest of night. Next day, it was sore but that slime took the sting and swelling out of my foot. Then I went crabbing after that by wadding under the pier with a sack, string and chicken neck. Being in the salt water most of day seemed to heal it up pretty good. Later that night, back on the pier with a close eye on what was laying around. LOL.

15. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't seem to have many problems with the larger ones, i guess i'm a little more care with them. My problem is the ones i'm throwing back because their too small. I ran one of the side bones all the way into my hand one day. Then i had to pull it out...Yeeeoooowwwch. I bleed like a stuck hog.

16. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I havent had it that bad unless you count gettin stabed a few dozen times w/thier fins. Once i sliced the top of my knuckle w/a spine then it flopped on the line and came back to poke me in the palm of my hand.

But the most humiliating injury was when me and two buddies were fishing new market dam(small concrete barriror in a local creek) we were fishing the top of a cliff and it started pooring down rain and i realized my tackle box was wide open w/my cell phone in it so run across the top of the ridge and i tryed to stopped but slipped head first, belly down a 10 foot rocky cliff into the creek. And of course both buddies saw and one even took pics. cut up both elbows, bruised my ribs, cut my face and hurt my pride
    good times

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive been stuck many times,twice this year alone but the worst one i had this year was when i was fishing on a steep bank.I stepped on aloose rock and it slipped and twisted my ankle real bad,i thought it was broke at first and never liked to got out of that place.I was off work a few days,and i had to wear an ankle air cast for a few months.

18. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'd have to say the worst would be a camping trip that one we caught and through back, sad to say, didn't make it of the bank. Well to make a short story shorter, I got my pay back for leaving him on land and stepped on him barefoot. I hopped around the rest of the morning:crying:

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    TRUE STORY..... (so you know it's going to be good)

A BOC Brother, whose name I won't mention (but it sounds like FLATPUNTER....:p ) had a giant Blue Herring attack him at night. He was fishing the banks of the mighty Scioto river. It was dark, a nice fog was coming off the water. Out of nowhere a GIANT BLUE HERRING is coming in like a comacozzie fighter pilot. This thing went through two fishign poles that were tightligned & pass the rod holders into the lap our our BOC brother (again... sounds like FLATPUNTER). It wasnt bad enough that our poor brother peed his pants, but the sucidal Herring pooped in his lap!-FOR REAL & knocked it's self out in the process. :eek:

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    :eek: That's crazy! I would have messed up my britches too!....lol:D