Your worst fishing reel ever

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by oahegw, Jul 13, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    My worst fishing reel was a ugly bulb shaped reel built into the rod called "THe Great Lakes Imperial 85 Whirlaway". I got it back in the 1960's. I finally threw it into the Missouri river after it balked on me while trying to land a fish.

What was your worst reel??:smile2:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    johnson reels have bin my worst reels

3. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Zebco 202. Although it could be described as my best reel. It was the first reel my Dad bought for me when he got me into fishing. It's been my passion since.

4. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i bought a penn back in the early 70s for bass fishing. dont remember the model but it was a bass sized reel. hated that thing. didnt last a fishing season. threw it away as junk. dont remember what i gave for it exactly but it was expensive at the time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    A Water Eagle. Bought it to catch crappie and the line would spool off in a mess.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I had a L/h retrieve Okuma. If ya want it its in the james river. :wink:

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I can't remember the brand, but it was on a combo I bought at the Kmart in Jacksonville, Florida about 20 years ago. The rod was fabulous, the reel just SUCKED. It was a spinning reel... Anti-reverse didn't work right, and the spool kept popping off (rear drag reel). I got tired of it being a pain in my rear, so I took it off the rod and threw it off the end of the pier. Went back to Kmart and bought a Daiwa and fished happily the rest of the week.

8. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have to agree with you Geroge, mine was an Okuma also,

you could just look at it and the spool would ball up into a giant ""Bird Nest""" never had a reel like it, it may have been a bad reel from the factory, I finaly gave it to a friend of mine (((LMBO)))

cliff

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

The first batch of Mitchell 300X,s that they came out with about 5 years ago,not the present 300XE,s.Got a deal on 8 of them new,had bail failures on every one.Turned me against Mitchell for good.:angry:

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    The Johnson line of reels, the Country Mile, and those like it (I had 3 as a kid), were by far the worst reels I've ever owned. My buddy bought a plastic Zebco something or other at an Aldi supermarket and it took the cake. Here he had a friend who is into fishing, would have given him a very nice fishing rod and reel, and he has to go pay money for this junk? I re-spooled that thing 3 times and we could never get it to cast beyond a certain point. Out the line would come freely, and then snag inside the reel and the bait would crash straight down. That reel got the trash can and he has my old Shimano now.

11. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LMAO! Got it at Aldi. Oh man thats funny. Ya know, tell your buddy Aldi has computers now too. :wink:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've owned 6 or 8 spincast reels of various brands, and they were all junk. I know lots of people love them, and that's fine....for them; personally, I won't let my grandkids use one once they get old enough to use a regular spinning reel, say about 4 years old.
    My most disappointing reel was an ABU 6500. Unless I use superbraid on it, it won't hold enough line for some situations; also, the drag system on it absoutely sucks! I was anchored below a powerhouse, hooked a 10# blue, and the drag wouldn't crank down enough to pull in the fish. I had to use the old 'thumbdrag' system. Now, for what I call ultralight catfishing, it's a really great reel. I made the mistake of ignoring the fact that the reel is made for a maximum of 14# test line.

13. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    as a kid i had an berkley spincaster that someone got me for my birthday,i think i cast it like 3 times totally fell apart inside, no idea what the model was now

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Penn Roddy 175 and a Master 170. Both are nothing but junk! Used the Master 170 one time and the clicker quit working and feels like junk. Got 2 or 3 trips out of the 175 till it fell apart.
    I'll stick to my Abu 6500 c3's, never ever had a problem out of any of the several I own.

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Shimano fx 200 spinning reel

16. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I bought a Penn Roddy off of Ebay and it was the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. I've owned all kinds of reels from spincast to spinning to casting to trolling etc and nothing was as bad as the Roddy. I trahed it very quickly.

17. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    zebco hawg 733 direct drive , hooked a big carp, shaft broke came off in my hand:angry:

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well it may be a fine reel if you leave mono on it but the 20 dollar shakespear wal mart combo with spiderwire on it...thats a disaster lol

20 dollars gets ya 20 minutes lol

19. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Zebco they suck. I used thim for a few years for bow fishing and i never got thim to work right.

20. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've never owned a bad fishing reel in my life. The closest I've gotten is the old style Mitchell 300 and others where the spool goes up and down inside the reel rather than being on the outside...skirted I think it's called. I would always get the line caught under the spool. Not bad reels, just bad design.