Your Way

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Slatebar, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    What is your method of fishing for Crappie? I have tried the artificial , trolling, jigging etc and always come back to the old minnow under the bobber method. No matter what I am fishing for be it cats, Walleye or Crappie I like to kick back, pour a cup of coffee and relax. I don't know what my problem is but it seems if I am not anchored at a brush pile, fishing a bobber-minnow that I am sort of lost. During winter months I go out and buy all these Crappie jigs and artificial bait, then wind up giving them to the kids when spring arrives. The man I fish the most with (another geezer) is the same way. So lets hear what is your favorite method for hitting Crappie.

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    My favorite method is casting to submerged brush in the early spring around feb-apr.I use a ten foot jig pole with a 1/16 road runner and four pound test.There are times when all they want is a minnow, i fish them on a slip cork but I still prefer to fish submerged timber off shore in the 8-15 foot depth range.Good luck

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to use the Caps and Coleman method of trolling for crappie. I mix live bait and jigs. When the crappie show me their preference I change over to all jigs are live baits. Caps and Coleman are winners of the Crappiethon several times.

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    They also have designed some great rods for spidderrigging , I managed to catch one of their seminars.They know there stuff when it comes to crappie.Also they have a couple of good videos out.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    maybe kicking back and drinking coffee is the problem with the jigs---just kidding. my grandad used to take me crappie fishing with him and we'd tie up for hours on end while he doodled a minner and bobber over some favorite spot----i hated those trips and thought i hated crappie fishing. i went with a friend about 15 years ago in the middle of winter no less, and we caught crappie as fast as we could pull them in using minners and no bobber along a deep river channel. i was hooked. i started chasing crappie with a passion. i ran into an "old geezer" one day that was using jigs and catching crappie as fast as his jig hit the water. i ask him about the jigs and he told me that the only way to learn to fish with them was to throw your minner bucket away and go with the jigs. well it took me a while to get the hang of it but that's the only way i fish for them now. no more sitting in front of the bait shop waiting for them to open and no more minner buckets. i'll admit that there are times when the fish are finiky and minners will outfish the jigs but all in all jigs will produce as good as if not better than minners. i've pulled up to an old tree top and watched minner fishermen fish all over the top and not catch a fish and then they'd move away and i'd move in and catch a limit with them scratching their heads in disbelief. it just takes time and patience to learn.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Couldn't of said it better fish. Take the artificial any day over a minnow. Just about good crappie fishin with the colder weather.

7. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    to be honest, im just startin to figure this crappie thing out. i went out this mornin and it was 30 degrees, and windy. i caught one crappie. i used minnows, i trolled the whole lake, i tried about a dozen "hopeful" spots, and still came up blank. i fished from 20 feet thinkin well, maybe the wind and the sun got em divin. i fished all the way to 3 feet thinkin, maybe the wind is airrating the water and the surface is nice and cold. i tried just about every spot and every way today, still came up blank. the thing is, im learnin as i go and i got the patience and stubbornness to keep with it.(you can ask my girlfriend, she hates it.) some days i think, this is what fishin is about, learnin through trial and error. other days like today, i was thinkin, dang i wish i had an "ole geezer" to show me a trick or two. ill go back tomorrow and see if theyre bitin. i wont hold my breath tho. im lookin forward to it, and im dreading it cuz the wind chill today was horrendous. my hands were so cold i could hardly tie a hook on or get a minnow on the hook. here, healthy lake, second day of cold, and the wind blew up to the dam all day. got any advice? ill try anything to get my limit of slabs at this point.

8. festus

festus New Member

I usually do all my crappie fishing from Feb. to April, then fish for other species. We used to drop brushpiles and stake beds because much of the cover in my favorite lake has deteriorated. On a windy day I'd much rather use jigs, spoons, or tiny crankbaits. Calm days I'd rather use minnows under a float. I like crappie fishing because there's no telling what other species you'll pick up along the way.

9. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Dennis I have been to one of their impressive presentation. I also have a book that they wrote. Their spider rigging method really works. I'm not familiar with their rods.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I have had decent success this year just throwing a shiny gold spinner (similar to a mepps). This is the first year i've targeted crappie, and we had pretty good success. Caught some bass and catfish along the way too.

11. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I like your method when I NEED a coffee break. Minnow or jig doesn't matter to me, but when I KNOW those fish are there and I want lots of action, I lose the float, use a light sinker and cast PAST the OUTSIDE edge of the cover and SLOWLY just drag the bottom back past the cover. Works like a charm every time. Catch 'em just as fast as you can cast.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I seem to gravitate back to the time honored slip float and minnow more and more as my age increases,call me lazy but I enjoy just sitting back and relaxing and taking in the scenery,more and more. But sometimes when I locate a big school of crappie with the slip-bobber and minnow then I'll pick up a rod with some crappie jigs or minnow imitating lure and go to town on them. I catch alot of big fat channel cats in the spring while crappie fishing the standing timber in the water with the slip bobber and minnow rig,which is always fun on 4 or 6 lb. test line and light poles.

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I try alot of different methods when out somedays the minners work best some days the jigs do.I like to tightline and drift around structure also that can be deadly at times.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Run and gun brushpiles..........sit right on top and vertical fish. 2 rods, staring at the depthfinder, really like the "thump".

15. TxBuddha

TxBuddha New Member

State:
    Texas
    Vertical jigging followed by slow trolling / spider rigging.

16. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Another interesting way to catch crappie is to use a cork and jig. We call it pop and reel. We locate the depth the fish are prevalent and let that amount of line out. Pop the cork and reel slowly. The jig will swing and the popping will attract the crappie. Works best for shallow fishing.

17. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, round these parts we have something similar called the float and fly method. But you can use either a fly, tube jig, or any other type plastic grub bait. The Rattlin' Pear floater has several bb's or other small shot in it that rattle and attract crappie. These floaters are about .65 apiece.

18. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I'm lazy so it is either a jig or minnow under a float and I will twitch the tip of my rod once in a while when using a jig just to get a little action started. My favorite would have to be minnows, fishing is all about relaxing for me. Once in a while you will catch me vertical jigging brush or a dock.

19. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Now there is a man I could fish with. You are right , fishing is about a lot more than just catching fish. :smile2:

20. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I agree fishing is a great release. It take many pressures away. I enjoy fishing even when the bite is not there.